Boy Meets...Boy? Chapter Twelve

Boy Meets Boy? Chapter Twelve:

When they got home Jonathan was whacked upside the head for not telling Auntie where he had gone but Jaycee was greeted with a tight hug plus a lecture. The lecture just concluded what Jonathan had told him, if not reinforced it. After being found, and Auntie definitely filing for divorce, everyone was on edge. It was an awkward situation at home as no one wanted to make Auntie snap, no one wanted to make the waterworks start in Katey and no one wanted to rub Jonathan the wrong way in case his anger perked up. It was awful, but he did what he could to help around the house and stay out of trouble. Jonathan had seemed to take to disappearing after school or after wrestling practices which worried Auntie as well as him. What was he up to? Was he doing okay? He knew it was hard losing one side of your parents but at least the other had both of them still alive, well, and not on a restraining order.

The restraining order that was to be put in place was put into severe mood. His social worker came over a few weeks after he’d tried to run away and they started to talk about his dad.

“I can’t try against my own father! I’ll put him in jail then.” Even though all the things his father had down to him, he was still his dad. The only being that was left that he could call his parent, his blood. His social worker shook her head, her short bob of brunette hair swiftly moving out of place from behind her ear. She quickly combed it back in place as she looked at him, “Honey, I know you don’t like the idea of this but if you don’t do this your father would be set free. You have to think of it logically, if he is set free he might do what he did to you to others. You can’t let him hurt others.” Jaycee pressed his lips together knowing she was right deep down but not able to acknowledge it just yet. “He can’t hurt anyone…” he stated softly knowing that that wasn’t true. He had hurt his very own son what would stop him from hurting a stranger. But he just couldn’t say yes, and be that child that had to put their own father in jail, be the reason he was in jail. His social worker seemed to sense this and got up to move over to him, sitting beside him as she patted his knee. “Why don’t you just think about it, okay?” He knew she wasn’t going to leave until he said something so he nodded sadly and mumbled out an, “okay”. She gave him an encouraging smile, patted his leg on more time before getting up. “Okay so I’ll see you in a couple of weeks but I’ll call you in the following week for that answer.” She had too, else the court would pass him down if not expire his claim. He got up and showed her the way out politely answering when he needed to but his mind was still on what they had just talked about. 

Could he really put his dad in jail? He knew he had done wrong, so many wrong things but did he really deserve it. He hadn’t killed anybody. He never meant to hurt Jaycee, he was always drunk. Maybe all he needed was rehab for his alcoholism and then he’d be alright. He knew that this isn’t what he was suppose to be thinking especially after what he had gone through. His father hadn’t always been drunk when he had hit him nor had he always been sober when things took a turn for the worst. He pitied his father, for what he had to deal with, with Jaycee’s mother dying and then having to take care of a son that was barely potty trained. He could have gotten it worse.

“Jaycee? Jaycee—“He was snapped out of his thoughts as he glanced at his social worker, her brown eyes intense as they searched him for any signs that something could be wrong. He gave a fleeting smile that was far from reassuring but made her stop in her search to press her lips together. “If you need anything, anything at all just give me a call okay kiddo?” He nodded and watched as she tucked her head in before climbing into the brunt colored cab and disappearing down the lane. He stood there for a while thinking about what he had to do before being brought back inside by Katey. Her bright smile had returned after her father had left, no one really seeming to miss him not even Auntie. He thought it was strange that a whole family couldn’t even blink an eye when one of them goes away but he assumed that they were so use to it, so jaded already by this guy that it was better for him to have left so soon. But he wasn’t leaving without a fight.

In the weeks that followed Auntie kicking out her husband, a court had been ordered over who would get custody over the children. This had sent Auntie in an uproar for a week, crying for hours when she thought that the kids were gone or pounding out her frustrations into her baking. Her attorney tried to smooth over the ruffled feathers of Auntie as he tried to reassure, since she was the mother and has been the main care taker of the children with no affairs what so ever, she’ll likely keep her children. The main deal being that she was the mother and courts were reluctant to take away children from their biological mothers anyway. It had calmed her down but if you watched closely you could see the deepened lines embedded around her mouth and the increase amount of blue shadowing her eyes. It was like she’d aged five years in those last five months. It was unbelievable and frightening at the same time.

Jonathan was glad he was heading to his regular wrestling camp in only three more hours. He could get away from the tension in the house and be away from Jaycee as well. That kid brought more drama than his little sister and she was the girl! He let out a sign as he caught the ball he’d thrown up in the air preventing it from landing on his face. Because of Jaycee, he had to sacrifice his social rep with Fiona, spend his nights rescuing the loser from unfortunate events he should have known better not to go to, as well as finally break up his parents. Which that wasn’t such a bad part but it was affecting his mother even if she didn’t want to admit it and it was definitely affecting his sister’s upbringing. He could only hope his mother found another guy that was good to her and right to her and someone that she would truly love. He let out another sign and threw the baseball back in the air. Just three more hours and then he’d be home free.

He’d been called out of his room to help bring down Jonathan’s bags. Really though it was just Jonathan relaying Auntie’s message and Jonathan taking advantage of him being there. He threw at him a duffle bag before grabbing a smaller one and heading down the stairs. He didn’t even pay attention to Auntie as she tried to talk to him but he quickly dashed through the front door and to the cab waiting outside. Jaycee came down the stairs at a slower rate than Jonathan had, stopping by Auntie who smiled at him and patted his back. He returned the smile until Jonathan snapped out, “Hey! Get down here and give me my bag!” It sent Jaycee’s friendly smile into a scowl as he headed down the stone steps and dropped the duffle bag roughly into the trunk of the cab.

Before he could close the lid Auntie cried out, “Wait! You’re forgetting something.” She came running out the house with another bag to which Jonathan shook his head. “Mom, I have everything. I don’t need any more clothes.” But Auntie only through the bag into the trunk and slammed it shut before looking at her son. “It’s not for you. It’s for Jaycee. He is going to camp with you!” Jonathan’s face came together in an angry scowl as Jaycee’s turned up in confusion, both of them echoing out the same, “What?!” Auntie first turned to Jaycee thinking it would be easier for her to comfort Jaycee about her decision then persuade Jonathan. She reached out and rubbed his back again and smiled, “This will be good for you. You can make some friends and have fun…besides it would keep your mind off the trail.” She said the last part in a lower voice meant for only him to hear. Even she was right he wasn’t excited to be going to this type of camp with these type of people. Wrestling. He couldn’t wrestle, he couldn’t even throw a punch to whomever he was getting attacked by. And if the people were anything like Jonathan and the rest of the wrestling time at South End High then this week was going to be the longest week of his life. He only nodded his head that he had heard knowing protesting would make no difference and he was right as Auntie turned to Jonathan. “Don’t scowl at me like that. You need to lighten up whether who and what is around you. Besides this will help everyone out not just Jaycee. I need to take care of a few things and then I am having a girls week with Katey. If you want to have your nails and hair done and stay up watching Disney movies with me and your sister then get in that taxi because Jaycee is going.” She snapped. Jonathan’s blank resembled Jaycee’s surprised one having not thought that Auntie would be so serious about this. He figured everyone would need a little break with what was going on. So Jaycee slowly inched his way to the other side and got in while Jonathan nodded stubbornly.

“Good. Now have a fun time.” She leaned in and hugged Jonathan tightly, her eyes closing as she hugged her son. Jonathan only patted her back frowning as he was hugged. When he was released he climbed into the car. “Have fun, Jaycee. Make some friends!” Auntie cried before she slammed the door shut and tapped the taxi. They drove of then, Jonathan with a scowl on his face and Jaycee with a frightened look. This really was going to be the longest week of everyone’s lives.