Chapter Three

(Emma's POV)

"Mom, can we play outside, ple-ase!" I whined, playfully nudging my little brother with my elbow. My mother glanced down at us, her face blank, and as white as a sheet. She shifted her arms, knocking several alcohol bottles off her chair. They shattered against the other glass bottles that were forming a pile. She peered at them, then a look of triumph overtook her facial features. She seemed to enjoy the fact that she wasn't going to get into trouble.

"Your father will be home any minute," She responded, her eyes dull and her voice sounded robotic. "You should stay inside."

"Mo-om!" Kyle whined. "Please!"

She shook her head, her eyes looking like broken glass about to shatter. "I cannot let you. Go away. Leave me alone."

Kyle opened his mouth, as if to respond, yet I pulled him out of the way before he could utter a noise. "C'mon. Let's go." I whispered.

"WHERE ARE YOU RATS?!" The loud voice of a drunken man made us freeze in our tracks. "I SEE THIS MESS YOU MADE!"

-

I woke, sobbing, my heart monitor going crazy. A nurse rushed in.

"Are you alright, honey?" She questioned, filling up a glass of water. I nodded, not trusting my voice to sound normal.

"Bad dream?" She stares at me. Nodding has become a habit. If someone asks you a question, the best thing to do is nod. Up and down. Faster or slower. Up and down.

"I'm fine." I croaked. Cursing silently, I pick up my glass of water, waiting until she leaves the room. I dump the water in the flowers next to my hospital bed, setting the empty glass down.