Chapter 2: Vision

Alek's P.O.V

I watch in fear as the mutant approaches the young boy. The child, who can't be any older than ten or eleven, hears ir, turns around and goes completely still. The creatureattacks the boy, but the kid grabs a rock that is barely within his reach. Slamming the stone against the mutant's head multiple times, the creature finally seems to die, or at least go unconscious.

"Alek...Alek...did you fall asleep?" Chia asks me, waving her hand in front of my face. I snap back to reality and glance at my sister. We look nothing alike. People often wonder how we're related. She nudges my morning ration of soup in front of my face. It doesn't look as appetizing as it usually does, and I slowly bring a spoonful of the bland liquid to my lips. Chia's bowl is already empty, but she licks her lips hungrily. We don't get much to eat these days.

Chia gets up and pulls back her light blonde hair into a neat ponytail, using a piece of felt to keep it in place. She pulls on a black leather jacket over her linen shirt, and slings her quiver and bow over her shoulders.

"Where are you going?" I ask her quietly, and she smiles half heartedly.

"Hunting," she replies, pulling open the flap to the tent we share and looking at me for a full thirty seconds before snapping her fingers. "By the way, it's your turn to help in Valdus's shop. You should probably go now," she adds, before slipping out of sight and leaving me alone. I hastily finish my soup. My vision all but forgotten.