epilogue: a new beginning

(tyler's pov)

"t-o-p! t-o-p!"

the crowd chant as my eyes wander around the crowded venue. many of them are screaming out loud so they can maybe - just maybe - catch our attention. i breathe out a sigh of relief, content that i'm surrounded by those who support me. then it happens again.

"you think it's over?"

for fuck's sake. i attempt to drown him out by singing a little louder, but of course nothing can stop him.

"give up, joseph. you may have defeated me once, but you and i both know that this sure as hell isn't over. i could wipe you out in the blink of an eye if i wanted to."

it's true. just because i proved him wrong once doesn't mean i'm strong enough to produce a repeat performance. he giggles with glee at the sight of my weakened facial expression.

"you gonna try and stand up to me again, heathen boy? am i gonna have to send you back there again?"

that's it. small, but noticeable tears escape my eyes. i wipe them with my arm and the fans start to whisper amongst themselves, but they just believe i'm tearing up from the emotions from the songs. i'm vulnerable again.

then another voice enters our conversation.

"get away from my fren."

i let out a small gasp. it's josh. he hasn't stopped drumming, of course, but his eyes are no longer focused on his drums. he's looking intently at me, the tears staining my face rapidly. 

"well, look who we have here. if it isn't the sly little weasel on the drums."

josh's eyes narrow on him, threatening him with a protective glare. he remains composed.

"don't give me that look, dun. i know you all too well. you act brave. you tell this boy here that everything's going to be fine when he knows damn well it isn't. you think you can play me. well, guess what. i'm the leader of this little game; and it looks like you've just lost."

josh tenses up a little, but he doesn't flinch. his eyes scroll josh up and down before landing on his arms. i bite my lip. i know josh is insecure about his arms. i know what you're thinking, how could he? josh is far more muscular than me (no wonder he gets all the female attention). but it's not the muscles that makes him shudder......

"ha, looks like joseph isn't the only pathetic fucker here who has marks to remember me by."

josh winces, his eyes landing on his blade-battered arms. he lets out a small cackle. i stare him down, prepared to fight to the death if he tries to make my friend relapse again.

"whaddaya say, josh? how about we revisit a few little memories, just you and me. because remember, i have friends all over the place."

a smaller, more childish looking dark figure settles on josh's shoulder. josh looks away, trying desperately to block out the flashbacks while his own blurry shrieks with delight. 

then he looks back at him. 

"you know what? do it. take me back all those years before, when i was at my worst and couldn't do anything but mope in a corner and inflict that pain on myself. make me remember how weak i am compared to you. because i'd rather cut myself 10 times than let you beat down tyler. because he isn't my best friend. he's much more than that." 

he looks confused. i grin up at josh, relieved to finally have someone help me beat him. 

"he's my brother."

his evil smile leaves his face. he starts to fade away, weakening from the brotherly support from josh and me. we both stare him down, watching him crumble under the pressure. jenna looks from the wings too. i take a moment to look back at her and her stomach. it's flat at the moment, but somewhere in there is a baby. my baby.

blurry gives up, and suddenly vanishes in the blink of an eye. josh, jenna and i share a smile between each other. i've learnt from my mistakes, and now i appreciate the two more than i ever have before. everything is finally peaceful.

and i wouldn't want it any other way. 

                                                                                   -THE END-

(author's note: hi guys, so 'what if' is finally finished! this is the first full-length fanfic i've ever wrote, and to say i'm proud of the result is an understatement. believe me when i say i have worked so fucking hard on this, even sometimes risking a detention by not doing my homework properly (the things i do for you lil shits)! anyway, the fic's got wayyyyy more reads than i ever would have imagined (the last time i checked it was 107 i think) and i wanna say a massive THANK YOU to everybody who read it! okay imma stop now as this is sounding like a really cringy oscar award speech, but yeah i'm just so grateful so  thanks so much you guys :) as for the next thing i'll be writing, i was thinking maybe a fic with lots of other bands that i like (e.g. panic, fob, mcr, the 1975 etc.) and maybe some joshler oneshots on the side (yes i might write smut don't judge i've done it before), anyway just another thank you, i'm so happy that my lil fic baby has got so much attention these past few weeks. ily all and stay alive <3- hetti)