part 2: the show

(tyler's pov)

"check, one, two. one, two."

i was silent. josh was silent. everybody in the hall was silent apart from the crew, checking each and every compartment for the show and cursing if they hurt themselves in the process, or didn't get it right first time. i glanced over at josh, who was facing down to the floor, interacting with nobody. this wasn't the josh i knew. damn, i must have really fucked up.

"j-josh?" i trembled. i saw his eyes acknowledge me, but his eyes still didn't face me. 

"josh, i'm sorry. please just forgive me. i've fucked up big time, i know i have." josh rolled his eyes, folding his arms defensively. "you got that right," he spat angrily. i took hold of his hand, and although he still didn't seem impressed, he didn't let go. "i mean it, josh. you're my best fren, and i must have been a real asshole to want to put you down like that." he looked up at me with his 'adorable' puppy dog eyes as if to say, really?  i could see the red circles underneath his eyes now- except he wasn't wearing his trademark eye-shadow.

"frens?" i asked him, a small grin appearing on my lips. he smiled back at me, his eyes brightening up a little. "we're always fucking frens, you idiot," he laughed. "but you do owe me a pack of oreos after the show. got it?" i chuckled, over the moon to finally see my fren happy again. "you've got a deal," i beamed playfully. things were finally looking up. 

i was wrong. we were backstage in the wings, minutes from going on stage for the opening number. i was shaking from side to side, more nervous than i'd ever been before a show. "you okay, ty?" josh patted me on the shoulder. i couldn't tell him i was far from fine. i'd make him upset again. "he's here, isn't he?" he peered over his shoulder as if something was there. i nodded. i couldn't help being insecure. it's okay for josh. yeah, he's got him too, but he can control it. he's got the looks too. i'm married, but it's almost impossible not to fall for josh, with his dark eyes, his perfect smile, his solid abs... he caught me looking down at his body. "what?" he looked puzzled. "no- no it's, it's nothing," i stammered, my cheeks flushing. josh looks down at his body himself. "i should have known. i'm putting on weight, aren't i?" my mouth dropped open. how could he think he's putting on weight? he's perfect, i thought to myself. "bro, if you're putting on weight, i'm growing claws and a fucking tail," a minuscule laugh escaped my lips. it helped to calm me a little, but then i heard it. the beginning of fairly local.

the crowd was the loudest it's ever been. this didn't help my state of mind at all.

"yo, this song will never be on the radio......"

josh squeezed my hand. "don't be nervous, bro. you've got this." i'm not so sure.

"yo, you, bulletproof in black like a funeral...."

"i'm going in. you coming, joseph?" josh smirked, placing himself at his drum kit. 

this is it. 

"it's the few, the proud and the emotional."

josh began drumming. i sighed as i ran onto the stage. i wished i had his confidence. as heavydirtysoul began playing, i felt a cold and dark breeze coming over me. i knew this feeling all too well. 

"there's an infestation in my mind's imagination....'

i was still singing, but at the same time he was trying to tempt me into giving up. maybe i'd let him win this time around.

"don't pretend i'm not here, my boy. you know i never leave your side."

i was desperately attempting not to lose control. the crowd still had all eyes on me, and although they seemed cheerful and were singing along with me, they could tell something was up. 

"look at those poor kids. telling each other to stay alive, thinking they can beat me. how precious.  well, they can't. they're just like you, little singer boy: brave in the name of evil, but timid in the face of danger."

josh had seen me struggling by now. he was still drumming, but he wasn't looking into the crowd now. his eyes were focused on my trembling body. 

"leave me alone, blurry. leave. me. alone."

he stopped dead. 

"what did you just say to me, my boy?"

my heart was in my throat, but i didn't back down. 

"you heard me. you've controlled me all my life. you've made me feel small, you've made me do things to myself no one should have to do, you've even bullied my friends into succumbing to you. well, i'm done being your puppet. you can fuck somebody else's life up for a change."

i'd never seen him like this before. his eyes had gone from a blood-red shade to an evil and intense black. he seemed taller and stronger than ever. i'd never seen this blurry before, because i was too afraid to stand up for myself. 

"that's it, joseph. no more fun and games. it's life or death now."

the audience gasped as i dropped my microphone and started darting across the stage away from him. "TYLER! TYLER, STOP!" josh pleaded, chasing after me. jenna came out onto the stage, attempting to help me. "tyler, what's wrong?" she held my hand, her breaths becoming faster. "it's blurry, he's here, he's going to kill me!" i shrieked at the top of my lungs. the audience started screaming too. i could hear some of the parents' concerned mutterings.

"what the hell is that guy doing?"

"that joseph guy, he's possessed!"

"come on, honey. you're not going to be seeing this band again."

"tyler, stop, you're scaring everyone. blurry isn't here, you're safe, just stay alive, bro," josh held my hand as tears started streaming down his face.

he is here. he's got me. i screamed once more. everything went black.