Getting Out

(Edd)

"Out?" Eddy questioned me, staring up from the map with a raised brow. "Like Surface 'out'?"

"That would be correct, Eddy." I answered. "There will be more materials to work with, connections to make, blackmail to deal, etcetera." I folded up the map I have been compiling of the Underground and the infrastructure if the Facility I asked Nazz to 'borrow'. "And more room for Kevin to run around." I pointed to my partner as he completed his thirtieth lap by us.

"Geez, maybe you should start considering a crate for your mutt." He jeered, jerking a thumb at the jogger. "Before he starts tearing up the furniture."

"I heard that asshole." Kevin called from his steady pace on the other side if the clubhouse.

"Well, I didn't whisper." Eddy replied.

I rolled my eyes at the two. "Nonetheless we are leaving tonight, when security is low." I tucked the maps safely in one of the pockets of my tool belt. "I'll find a way to communicate a some point." I added quietly. "But until then, keep a low profile and a regular routine."

Eddy nodded at me in an exaggerated manner. "Yea, yea Double D. I'll make sure word gets to the others and we'll keep trying for supporters." His expression turned uncharacteristically serious. "Just be careful up there. You guys are wanted traitors. If someone from the Facility finds you guys, you'll be taken in or worse." He looked at me with a brotherly kind of concern.

I smiled at him and patted his shoulder. "I know."

The many hours to nightfall passed painfully slow. I could see the irritation in Kevin's form when he practiced quick paces at pulling his gun from it's hollister with his artificial hand. As impatient as I knew he is, it seemed as if he was expecting the roof to fall in on us.
I won't deny my own anxiety though, I've been staring at the map and blueprints of the Underground and the Facility to the point where I could follow our exit plan in my sleep. We're finally leaving everything we knew, everything we learned, and we can't even say goodbye to our families.

The sound of the sewer grate scraping out of it's place pulled me from my thoughts, I turned to see Kevin aiming his gun at the unseen intruder. But the one that came up from the sewer was the one I least expected.

"Mother?"

The woman looked at me, her pale violet-blue eyes welling with fresh tears and a weak smile on her face. "Eddward." She pulled herself out of the hole and scurried to me, pulling me into a tight hug. "I was worried you were gone already." She spoke into my shoulder.
I looked at Kevin, he seemed suspicious of my mother's appearance. I gestured with my hand for him to lower his weapon. He did so but kept it in his hand.

"Mother," I began, pulling her backward gently to look at her. "How did you know we were here?" I demanded.

Her smile grew more confident. "The junkyard was always the place you kids went to hide in. I never thought it would be different now." She answered. "But I had to wait so long before the reporters would leave your father and me alone." Mother turned her eyes to Kevin. "Your family knows your here too. Your father is not happy that you are here, increasing the risk of you two getting caught."

Kevin smirked at that. "Tell him he won't have to worry much longer." He said.

Mother nodded before looking back to me. "I'm so proud of you, my boy. Your father and I both are." She pressed a loving kiss to my forehead. "Stay safe and contact us when you can." Mother reached into her purse and pulled out a strange device, she slipped it into my belt pocket. "Its an old model and the Facility tracers won't pick up on it's signal."

I nodded confidently, saves me the problem of finding away to contact home.

"Stay safe both of you and look out for each other." She gave a very protective warning look at Kevin that made him lower his head. "Also I have friends you can get a hold of for connections." She pulled out a small roll of paper. "These are people your father doesn't even know, you can trust them to keep you hidden until the time is right."

"Thank you, Mother." I spoke finally.

She stared at me as if it would be the last time, it probably is though. Her look of motherly love, if only my father were here too.
I hugged her tight, clutching the list in my hand.

"I hope to see you again my precious son." She whispered before pulling away.
After she had left through the sewer I felt my eyes sting with tears. A hand rested on my shoulder with an intent of comfort.

I wiped away the unshed tears and went back to the maps. I could feel Kevin staring at me but I forced my focus on the plan at hand.

"We'll need to be leaving soon." I stated as if reminding someone, more rather myself.

"Right." I heard Kevin reply followed by the heavy steps of his boots. "Everything is packed and set to go."

"Good, good." I murmured, remembering that I had made sure of it hours ago. I folded the map and blueprint, placing them safely in their respective pocket.
Kevin brought over the bags, handing me the lighter of the two. I took it and slipped my arms under the straps.
Together, we walked toward the sewer entrance. A final look at our hide out then I was the first to leave it.