Chapter 19: Churros

I went straight to Elaine's house after bidding Nazrul Good night. No, it was definitely not a good night. I grunted as I climbed the stairs and when I saw Elaine's curious face through the crack of her door, I quickened my pace and knocked on it. 

"Please, let me in," I whispered. It was obvious that Elaine was just taking a peek, wondering who was making so much noise with a pair of cheap heels. (Okay, Elaine told me once that she could differentiate the clicking sounds made by expensive shoes.)

"Where've you been and why do you sound so grumpy? I mean the sounds of your heels made me believe that you're in a bad mood," she whispered back as she took my hands. "So cold. Were you in a freezer or something?"

"Yeah! I was frozen for a few minutes tonight," I said.

"Tell me everything about it." Elaine dragged me to the kitchen and I followed willingly.

We went to sit at her dining table - our favorite spot in the house and she brought out a tub of Baskin Robbins. That's what friends are for. What a perfect timing. It's not often that I would resort to stuffing my face with sweet, creamy dessert at  this hour, but this was a case of an emergency.

After four of five spoonfuls of Rocky Road, I started telling Elaine about Nazrul's crazy plan. Elaine was holding her breath as I told her that my mom loved the idea of me being in a steady relationship with Nazrul. She covered her mouth with her hands and I thought she was about to break into tears when I told her that my mom hugged Nazrul and thanked him for taking care of me.

"Awww! That was so sweet. I knew you are perfect for each other." Elaine held me in her arms and softly rocked our bodies. "I'm so happy for you, babe!"

I stopped our rocking movement and softly knocked her forehead with my knuckles. "Have you been listening or dreaming? Nazrul and I are not in a relationship. We are just pretending so that my mom wouldn't interfere so much with my life here." I almost spelled out everything to her - word by word. 

"Oh, trust me. You'll make a great couple." Elaine smiled and continued hugging me as if she wasn't listening to anything I just told her. "Congratulations! You've finally found Mr. Right. Who would have thought, right?"

Perhaps it was the ice cream, or perhaps Elaine was under the influence of some unknown substance, but I had to wake her up. She yelped when I purposely stepped on her toes. "Was that really necessary?"

"Yes. You are getting the wrong picture of everything. Nazrul and I were just pretending in front of my mom. We have no intention to pursue the relationship."

"What?" It just dawned on her that there wouldn't be any wedding soon. "How and when are you going to tell your mom that there's nothing between you?"

"We are staging a break up."

Elaine's laughter filled the house. She laughed so loud that her father's door cracked a bit and the old man stuck his white haired head out to check what was happening. Elaine waved at him dismissively. "Oh, it's nothing, dad. I just heard the funniest joke ever."

When the bedroom door was completely closed, I slapped hard on her bare thigh. "It's not funny, Elaine. I was being serious. Nazrul and I will pretend that there are some misunderstandings between us and that the relationship couldn't be saved."

"And you plan to update your mom on each and every argument you're going to have with Nazrul?" Elaine blinked a few times at me as if telling me how ridiculous the idea was. Her face at that moment reminded me of my teacher when I was in Primary 1, when she asked me what was written on the board and I gave a made up answer. 

"Argh! I'll think of something. When the time comes, I'll know what to do." It was time to put a full stop to the discussion. We both knew it was not going anywhere. Elaine wanted me to be in the relationship - like really being in love with Nazrul while I wanted a way out. There was no way I was going to pretend that we're a loving couple in front of mom ever again. 

"Think of something clever, will you, Allysa? Other than staging arguments and a stupid break up. This is not just about your feelings or Nazrul's. Your mom has started putting in hopes in your supposed-to-be-blooming relationship." 

I pretended I didn't hear her. It was easier than having to counter each of her observation and suggestion. 

"There's a new churros shop opening near my office tomorrow. Wanna go?" I changed the topic.

"Ice cream tonight and churros tomorrow?" Elaine raised her eyebrows.

"What? You're on a strict diet now?" I kicked her feet playfully.

"No. I think it's a great idea." She brought another spoonful of Rocky Road into her mouth as we started to giggle. Her dad gave out a loud sigh as he peeked again through the bedroom door and we pretended we didn't hear him.