"I drove us," I admit, hoping that information doesn't hurt her brain. "After you hosed him in your vomit, by the way."

"Eww! Really?" She cries. "Dang, I wish I remember doing that. That would've been sweet."

"Just lay back," I help her ease onto her pillow. "It was pretty epic, by the way." 

"God," Keri whispers, her voice sounding like a scared child. "Can you imagine what could have happened if you weren't there to help me?"

"Or Rory," I answer. "Much as I hate to admit it, he actually helped, a little."

"Don't say shit like that," she deadpans me. "He's a dick."

"Copy that," I plant a quick kiss on her forehead.

I don't even want to consider what could have happened if I hadn't been there. 

In fact, I feel pretty terrible that it happened right in front of me. It could have been worse. Much, much worse.

"I'm going to go home to check on Mom," I stand up into a brief stretch.

"Wash your face first," Keri says in a weak voice as if she's already drifting off to sleep. "You look like you're about to do the worst walk-of-shame ever."

A nervous laugh escapes my mouth because I'm glad Keri's feeling well enough to joke, but I couldn't unknot the dread in my gut. 

My best friend could have been attacked last night, and that's probably the scariest reality I've had to consider since my mom's arrest.

Like the saint she is, Keri's mom offered to give me a ride home. 

On the way, Rory broke his promise.

'How's Keri???' his first text read. 

'She's going to be fine.' I texted him back. 'Thanks for the help. Sorry about your shirt.'

'Clothes are replaceable, people aren't!' Rory replied (already over his text limit, by the way). 'Glad to hear she's OK!'

After a few seconds, my phone buzzed again.

'...'  from Rory.

So, I sent him '???'

'Thinking about you' was his dumb reply, which I ignored.

My mom was on the couch watching TV when I got home.

"You look, tired," Mom says her eyes widening at my party dress and fluffy socks.

"I am," I reply, stifling a yawn. "I'm sorry I didn't let you know last night that I was staying at Keri's house."

"Hangover?" My mom asks with her attention fully on the TV show blaring in front of her.

"No, I was the designated driver," I reassure her.

"Oh," she's still watching her show.

"Well, I'm going to take a shower," I shuffle off.

The hot water feels good on my skin, warming my bones and washing away some of the stress in my muscles. 

Last night was a close call and not one I ever want to repeat again. 

When I'm done, I brush my teeth and put myself to bed, ignoring my mom and burrowing under the covers to block out the scary what-if's still running through my mind.

In the morning I wake up with a stab of fear that I still need to study for the test I have in Mr. Benedict's class.

I know Romeo And Juliet through and through, but it wouldn't hurt to read Act One again, just to make sure everything is fresh in my brain. 

Besides, I've got to make up for the crappy grade on my essay.

When I finally clock in at work, Mike reminds me that I'm pulling a double shift to make up for my day off.

Which effectively kills my plan to study.

Instead, I settle for reading on my breaks in one of the booths with a cup of coffee. 

Just as I'm getting to Lady Capulet and Juliet's scene before the feast, my phone begins to beep.

'How's work beautiful?' Rory texts me again. 

I don't reply because I know it'll encourage him. 

'Still thinking about you...' he sends another.

I ignored that too.

'You really did look great last night,' he keeps blowing up my phone. 

I don't dignify that with a response, either. 

'Still as stubborn as ever,' Rory needles me from my phone. 'Don't worry, you'll see. I'm not a bad guy.'

I go back to my book only to hear another buzz. 

'I'm outside,' flashed on my phone's screen to send my pulse into my throat. 

My head snaps up to see Rory standing on the other side of the window. 

He strolls confidently towards the door looking dapper as usual and holding a small pink paper bag covered with reflective silver dots.

"Hi, Moira." He says brightly.

"Hi stalker," I answer. "Keri's alright, you don't need to be here."

"I wanted to give you this," he ignores my frown. "Happy birthday."

Rory presents me with the bag he's been carrying and I take it dubiously, wondering what his angle is.

"Open it," he instructs.

"Alright."

Inside is a clear plastic clamshell box holding a dainty cupcake with pink frosting. 

"Wow, Rory," I try and muster some enthusiasm. "Thank you."

"I know you probably didn't have the birthday celebration of your dreams what with Keri getting trashed and all-"

"My birthday was last week," I correct him and cut off his callous remark about Keri's drinking. 

"C'mon Moira," Rory leans in like we were sharing some sort of inside joke. "I'm trying to make you smile."

"Thank you," I grit my teeth into a thin smile. "I have to get back to work."

"Of course," he answers, too smug for his own good. "I'll text you."

Rory looks down at the table one last time to see my worn copy of Romeo And Juliet.

"You know," He remarks as he saunters away. "Instead of reading harlequin romance novels, you should let me take you out."