Stage 8 "Plans of a Team"

At ECHO headquarters, Lucas had studied the layout of the town nearby as well as the school's. While he knew that going in person would be a good idea at some point, he also noted that it had nothing to do with his objective at the moment. On top of this, the realization that he would be going to play football every day, until he accomplished his mission, flashed through his mind.

"Thanks, man," he told Nathan. "But I think I'm going to stay behind today."

"Suit yourself," Nathan shrugged.

"I'll come with you," Raymond offered.

Nathan turned to glare at him. "You're just hoping my sister will be there."

"Your sister is coming?" another guy, who overheard, asked.

Before he knew what was happening, Lucas' desk was surrounded by guys clambering to try and get close to Nathan as they begged to go along.

"Back off you vultures!" Nathan told them as he tried to break free of the group and escape the classroom. "I'm not taking any of you with me!"

"Awe come on man." There were protests all around.

Lucas watched in amusement as Nathan broke free and darted from the room. A few guys followed him out of the door before the bell rang for class to resume.

Muttering in disappointment, guys filed back to their desks. Lucas leaned back, trying to come up with an idea of how to train for football later on. Nathan won't be here...so I can't get his help. He twirled his pencil, nothing the teacher was saying going into his mind. Maybe some of the other team will be up for it...then again, he scowled, will they notice my lack of experience if they practice with me? He stopped twirling the pencil. What about ECHO? He shook his head. No. This is a trifle matter. I'm expected to take care of it myself.

By the time classes ended for the day, Lucas had come to a conclusion. He would watch some technique videos and try out what he could. It wasn't exactly the first time he had to take a crash course on a sport. There had been jobs where he had had to know a lot about all sorts of competitive sports...yet it was definitely a first for trying to develop enough skill for a sport to look like he had grown up playing it.

The bell rang. Packing together his stuff, Lucas crammed it into his school bag before heading off to his room.

It was empty when he got there. Not bothering to think about where Brian was, he grabbed his laptop and plopped down on his bed.

Time to learn the rules, Lucas noted. His fingers flew across the keyboard. It didn't take long to find what he wanted.

Lucas sat back as he read one rule after the other. His trained mind stored piece after piece as it skimmed over the writing. Flash memorization; it had been something ECHO had drilled into him. It was vital when working, memorizing the smallest detail in the fastest way possible. This technique had gotten him out of trouble more than once.

When the door opened, Lucas glanced up to see Brian enter.

"Hey," the other boy said.

Lucas nodded in greeting. He watched Brian dump a backpack by his desk and sit down. The boy pulled out a text book and started reading. Turning his attention back to his laptop, Lucas pulled up some video clips. He plugged in headphones and proceeded to watch bits and pieces of actual football matches. When he felt that he grasped the rules, especially off side and a foul verses an acceptable tackle, he watched a few more clips on training to develop skills.

It took him two hours in total before he snapped his laptop shut. Changing out of his uniform, he grabbed his football.

"See you later," he told Brian as he walked to the door.