Chapter 2

Half an hour later, the teen closed the door to her bedroom and swept aside the various objects that cluttered her desk. She propped the book open, a grin plastered on her face.

Ah, it's nice to see the light again. It was rather dreary outside.

"Can you see me?" Jayde asked, running her fingers through her hair, and shaking it out.

Yes, but no.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She chuckled, setting a nearby paperweight on the page so she could tie up her hair.

I can't see you directly, but I know you're there. I know what faces you're making, and where you move. I can tell when the light is on or off, and I can feel a change in weather. But, if you were to ask me the color of your hair, or eyes, I would not be able to answer.

"So, you're colorblind? Can someone without eyes be blind?"

It's complicated. While we're on the subject, what color are your eyes?

"Green," Jayde responded, leaning forward in her chair so she could read better.

What does green look like?

Jayde thought for a moment. How was she supposed to describe the color without Arch knowing what the color of anything is?

"This is going to take some imagination on your part. Do you know what grass is?"

Of course I know what grass is! I visit other novels, I just can't see colors. I wouldn't be able to tell blue from purple. Everything is black and white. I don't visit other books so much as I read them.

"Alright," Jayde began hesitantly. "Picture grass, freshly cut. Grass is green."

That's not helping.

The teenager sighed in exasperation, how does one describe a color to a blind person?

"It's what flashes across your vision when you stare into the sunlight. It is what you feel as you lay in the grass on a cool spring morning. It is what fades out of the trees when autumn comes. It is Christmas trees, and summer bushes, and an envy that leaves you breathless. It is a stabbing feeling when you see someone prettier, or more handsome than you; and it is the most beautiful color in the world."

Thank you, I can see it clearly now.

The girl smiled and turned the page.

"If I scribbled on the page with a green marker, what would happen?"

Don't you dare!

Jayde laughed, grabbing a marker off the edge of her desk and waving it tauntingly over the book.

It wouldn't work! It would just be a grey smudge. Trust me, a kindergartener got ahold of me once.

Jayde had to bite her lip to keep from laughing.

Hey! Kindergarteners are terrifying with their grubby hands covered in cheetos. They have no respect for books. Also, you should bite your lip more often, it's rather cute.

The brunette snorted, tossing the marker away and turning the page.

"If you were to be put on a shelf with a picture book, would you be able to see the colors?

Unfortunately, no. Trust me, i've tried already. They just appear grey, white, and black.

"That's sad, because I'm not going to sit here and describe every single color to you." Jayde teased, getting up from the chair.

"I'm going to get some water, do you want anything?" She asked, glancing down at the book.

I'm a book...

"Right, I knew that. I'll be back in a minute."

As Jayde made her way down the hall, she passed her younger brother, who was heading the way she had just come from.

"Did you get anything good from the library?" He asked, turning the corner and going inside her bedroom.

"Don't touch the book on my desk!" Jayde yelled, swiveling on her heels and sprinting after her brother, who was seated at the desk, and was in the process of closing the book to look at the cover.

Jayde had tears welling up in her eyes

as she darted into the room. The covers were millimeters away from each other, so Jayde did the only logical thing she could think of.

She threw her shoe.

The impact of the converse caused her brother to turn his head in annoyance, opening the book back up in the process.

"What's the big deal? It's just a book."

"Get out!" Jayde yelled, shoving her brother out the door and slamming it behind her.

"Please don't be blank, please don't be blank." She muttered, plopping herself in her computer chair and scanning the book. A few of her tears dripped off her chin and onto the parchment.

Woah, woah, woah, are you alright? Why are you crying?

Jayde wiped her cheeks with the palms of her hands.

"Because, I almost lost you!"

Oh, I-I didn't realize you cared so much.

"Of course I care, stupid. You're my friend!" Jayde said in exasperation, throwing her arms up.

You should get some sleep, It's been a long day.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Jayde asked, holding the book as she crawled into bed.

I'll be fine, just as long as someone doesn't close me.

"Will you be terribly scared if I put you in my closet for safekeeping?" Jayde laughed, glancing toward the closet that sat in the corner of her room.

As long as there aren't any books on monsters.

The teenager got out of bed and carried the book to the closet, grabbing the paperweight on her way. One must take precautions to protect something so precious. She knelt down at the edge of the little room and set the book on the floor.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Jayde said, kissing her fingers and pressing them against the page. She set the paperweight on the parchment and closed the closet door.

Goodnight, Jayde.