Eavesdropping

I never meant to arrive quite this early. But, seeing that I somehow unconsciously made my way to the little flower shop, it must be fate. I exhale, nervously itching my way closer to the store.

I can't just enter the store now! He'll think I'm some clingy weirdo! God, how did I even end up here?!?
I stop my slow shuffle towards the store and glance down at my phone; 6:00 pm.
"Ugh" I pout with a cold breath.
It's too early to join Phil, but it'll be pointless to go back home and then have to come all the way back. Why am I such a flop?

I look to the flower shop. The windows are bright and is flourishing with life with the variety of plants. I shiver, shoving my hands back into my coat pockets.
It would be much nicer going into the nice warm store...
But, it would be really awkward if I come early...
I could be a customer though. I could say I wanted to come early to buy another plant.
Agh, but buying a plant three days in a row from the same shop would raise anyone's eyebrows...
But...
I could just say that it was more convenient to come straight to the shop after work.
But, then he'll think I'm really lazy.
Well I guess he kind of already knows I am...

I sigh deeply again contemplating my decision. I look up into the grey sky, tracing the patterns of the lifeless clouds with my eyes. I can feel my nose nip painfully from the cold weather, I'm certain both my nose and cheeks are red of frost.
It would be nice to gather some warmth from the little flower shop. I doubt Phil would mind.

I sigh. A small smile forms as I take in one last large breath before my ears tingle from a rather loud chaffing of a door being opened, along with an angry chime of a welcoming bell rattling in the near distance.
I quickly adjust my vision to the sound of the perpetrator, or rather perpetrators, as I see Phil and another fellow exiting the flower shop in hasty movements.

My mother always told me it was wrong to eavesdrop, especially if it is done purposefully. However, I never understood how people could just wave off those talking in a louder tone. How can you not listen to their secrets, their stories, their words? You can learn a lot just by listening.
I could not help but listen as Phil and a similar looking man to him, perhaps a sibling or cousin, spoke in ear piercingly loud voice.
I stood my ground watching from the distance not daring to make the slightest movement. I have a sinking feeling that what I'm hearing is meant to be private, or at least not heard by someone like me.

"Phil, you can't just stay here your whole life in this stupid flower shop!" The unknown man yelled to Phil. The man was surprisingly taller than Phil, not too much taller, but enough to intimidate either me or Phil. He has a square jaw line similar to Phil's, but a much sharper complexion. They must be related some how.
I watch as Phil's eyes glint angrily, "I'm not giving up this shop! This is my home! I made the choice, and I don't care how in debt I may be, I don't want to leave!" Phil yelled with a similar tone to the new face.
In debt?
"Phil, Mom and Dad just want you to come home! You've spent the last 5 years wasting away here! When are you finally going to get a hold of your life! At least get yourself a girlfriend or something! Mom and Dad are worried about you, please just think about it Phil. They hate seeing you like this, without a purpose, without a goal." The taller man, who I now presume is Phil's brother sighed, his tone much softer, but still audible for me to hear.
His eyes were sunken and full of worry, he definitely wants the best for Phil.
Phil's eyes softened, "I know Mom and Dad are worried, I... I... I just. I don't know. I don't want to give this up Marytn. I don't want to go back to them knowing that I failed." Phil spoke sadly, his voice echoing against the buildings.

I look around, is no one else hearing this?
The street is eerily empty.
I watch, my eyes glued to the scene unfolding, like a good movie or show, I couldn't tear my gaze away.
The Martyn fellow sighed deeply before continuing, "Well Christmas is coming up, so you best be there; get yourself a girlfriend and bring her. That'll help Mom and Dad's worry." Martyn explained. I watch as Phil shuffles uneasily his face flushed red, "You know I can't do that."
I smile at the sight of Phil's oddly adorable actions. Martyn laughs heartily, "Right, Right. You have to bring someone though Phil. Anyone! You must have made at least one friend living here," Phil shuffles in place again. "I guess I have someone I can ask."

Lucky Fellow. Would be nice if he asks me.
Wait, what...?

I inwardly face palm an uncomfortable heat creeps along my face and ears. No, do not think like that Dan, you literally met the guy just a couple days ago!
Though hanging out with a friend on Christmas sounds nice...

I shake my head, trying to shift my attention back to the conversation in front of me only to see that it has ended.
I watch as Martyn and Phil part ways, both of their figures fading from my view. I stand there, questions slowly, but steadily, flooding my mind.
Phil is in dept?
Has his business been bad?
He's been here for 5 years?
Is he on good terms with his parents?
What does he mean a girlfriend won't work for him?
Who are his other friends?
He must have made other friends for living here for about 5 years, right?
Who exactly is this Martyn fellow?
They must be brothers seeing how they referred to 'Mom and Dad' the same.

I groan at the questions. You learn a lot through eavesdropping, but at the same time you are left with many new questions that may never be answered. I sigh deeply again, glazing my eyes at the grey sky once again.
I wonder if I will learn more about Phil during our outing...

With a content puff of breath, I mentally make a decision and head towards the flower shop.

_______________________________
Sorry, Just a short chapter for today! I hope it wasn't too long of a wait. I wanted to post this last chapter before leaving for Christmas holiday! Please let me know if you find any mistakes or if you have any suggestions!

I hope you all have a happy holiday!

Sleep well.
Sleep in.
Get some rest.
Eat as much as you want.
Do what you love.
Do things in your own pace.
And enjoy yourself.

Cause you all deserve it (ω)

-Alex