Chapter 44: Slush Puppy

~ Four and a Half Years Ago ~

Taking a sip of my cherry slush puppy I walked through the small gas station on the highway, grabbing candy, a large water bottle, three ice tea Arizona's, and even a bag of barbecue chips before tossing the in my backpack and on my way out, I grabbed a pare of nice old styled sunglasses before dashing out of the store and jumping onto my bike and began heading out on the dirt road when the manager came rushing out. "Hey! you gotta buy for the" he shouted. He was a plump man who looked like he just sleeps and eats and repeats. Dropping my half empty slush puppy on the road, some splattering on my high tops , I smirked at him then went full speed on the bike, heading to the farm. An hour later my legs hurt and I was sweating bad, ditching the bike on the front lawn, I walked into the woods and climbed up the tree to my fort and dumped the goodies on the smooth wood and slumped down in the lime green beanbag chair. Just as I was about to dig into my sweets my walkie-talkie screeched. "Yes Uncle?" I said into it sweetly. "Come to the house, it's important" He said sternly. "Alright" I sighed and stood up, fixed my jean overalls I had cut into shorts and climbed down the latter, jumped the fence and ran over to the large farmhouse. "Hey" I smiled as I walked through the doors. "What's going on?" I asked as I kicked off my shoes and skipped over to the living room in my socks. "Come, check out the news" My Uncle said, pointing at the Tv. "Uncle, once again, I don't care that so and so was killed, I'm sure it was another fake death! Give it a month" I groaned as I flopped on the couch next to him. "No. This is serious" he snapped. "What is it?" I asked, seeing the seriousness in his face. "An infection, coming our way actually" he said, eyes glued to the TV. "Well, we'll take medicine, can't be that serious." I shrugged. "No Maxie. this is serious. Really serious" he said. "Well since we keep saying 'serious' over and over again, I guess you should just tell me how bad it is" I said, shoving my hands in my pockets. "People dying everywhere. In matter of days, hours, minutes, seconds. It's viral. Spreading everywhere" he said, using hand gestures. "Ok... So a few people will die, that's life" I shrugged. "Not if they die, then come back to life as a blood thirsty freak" he snapped. "Whoa! You mean has, like a zombie?" I said, excited. "Maxie! This is- sure. And you see, these infected are on they're way here. We need to get to the shop" My Uncle said, standing up and racing over to grab his car keys. "Now?" I said, getting up and following him.

We pulled up to the shop and I happily walked in. "Hey grandpa" I smiled as I jumped on the counter and sat there kicking my feet. "Dad, we need to talk" Uncle said as he came and stood in the door way. When my grandpa didn't answer I worried and jumped off the desk and spun the large chair he sat in tell he was facing me. "Grandpa!" I shouted as soon as I realized the bloody bite mark in his wrist. "Maxie! Get out of here right now, go back to the house and gather some supplies. Now" he snapped. "No! we need to call for help!" I shouted. "No. it's too late" "your crazy!" I snapped. He's completely insane, people eating others, feasting on they're flesh. I shuddered at the thought. "Leave-" just before he repeated his further instructions, a groan came from one of the many shelves in the store. Grabbing my swift army knife I always had with me, I held it tight just incase. "Hello?" I called. "Stores closed, you should leave" I said. Seeing someone moving around behind the shelves I put the knife away and walked over to him. "Did you do that to my granddaddy?" I snapped once I turned the corner to see the tall man standing. He didn't turn around nor say anything. "Sir?" I asked, now he turned around and charged at me. This was the first infected I saw, it was the plump man from the gas station. "Uncle!" I screamed. In a matter of seconds he was there, and I hate myself for what he did. Diving in front of me and taking on the creature. "get out of here" he yelled, and I did, I ran. I ran when I could of helped.

I'm a coward.

~ present ~

"Sophia was a great friend, and a great sister. She alway brought happiness. Hope. Joy. Even though she wasn't always the best when it came to fight the walkers, she was the best when it came to staying sane. She never forgot who she was." I said, my voice cracking at the end. "That you Maxie" Carol said, giving a small smile before I went and stood between Daryl and Carl. "Thank you all for coming. I'm sure Sophia is looking down on us now from heaven" Carol said to us all, Sophia was pretty popular, half of the prison was here. After a moment of silence, we said our silent goodbyes and went back to our normal routine, yet it didn't feel normal, and it won't for a while.

"Hey Maxie" Carl said, giving a small smile, but I knew he was still hurt, I could see it in his eyes. "Hey Carl" I said back, repeating his actions. Turning away from him, I began walking away. "Maxie?" Carl called after me. "Yeah?" I asked, stopping for a moment to face him. "Remember... Remember when you said you loved me?" he asked, sadness in his eyes. I was very hesitant before answering "yes" I whispered, looking at my shoes. "Do you still love me?" I was shocked to hear him say that. "Yeah, so what?" I sighed. "Well. I still love you" he said, walking closer to me and lifting up my chin to look at him. "Carl don't-" I started. "No. Maxie. Stop pushing me away" Carl snapped. "I love you" he whispered, placing his forehead on mine. A smile made its way onto my face and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "I love you to" I said, pulling him down to kiss me. He seemed shocked at first my gladly smiled into it. "Hey! get a room!" Michonne joked. I pulled away and just smiled at her. "Wait are they back together?" Lucas asked, walking towards us. "Uh. I. I think so" I blushed, looking to Carl. "I hope so" Carl smiled. "Finally!" Lucas said and fist pumped Carl.

Later that evening when everyone was heading to bed, I walked around trying to find Michonne. "What are you still doin' up?" she asked from behind, startling me. "I- oh Michonne. I was looking for you" I said, pulling, leaning back on the heals of my boots. "Here I am" she smiled and gestured to herself. "Your going to search for Phillip tomorrow right?" I asked her. "Yeah, why?" she asked. "I wanna come" I said seriously.