Chapter 38: Pretty Boy

Two days have past since I sent the letters... We're they even deliver? crap... if not then they could be dead! It's already been half a week, Woodbury could of already attacked. No, they didn't attack. they would of taken me with them has a weakness. Maybe it's all alright. Just has the sun set and everything went quiet. A gun shot flooded through the town and a smile grew so big on my face the cut on my lip opened up and my cheeks hurt. "Thank you" I whispered, I'm not sure to whom though, maybe God if there is one, and I pray and hope there is. How else am I getting so lucky with living?

I waited for an hour, I think that clock says an hour, anyways I've been waiting and hour. half an hour the gunfire stopped. Hearing footsteps I panicked. "Daryl?! Rick?! Help!" I screamed. Just then Merle walked in and I felt tears. "Your ride is here" he smiled, not his creepy grin, a real smile. Merle came over and untied my wrist and gave me a beautiful pocket knife with carvings on the handle. It took my a moment to figure out what was on the handle but then I realized it said Dixon. "If Daryl thinks of you has family, I do to. You got guts, I like that" and with that we got out of the building. smoke was every where and feeling nervous I grabbed Merle's hand, he looked at me for a moment before holding mine has well.

We jogged through the smoke and soon gun fire started up again. "Stay behind me!" Merle shouted over the loud booms of gunfire. I did has he said and soon we retched the wall that kept everything out and everyone in. "What now" I whispered loudly, which was technically just talking... anyways. He looked between me and the wall but something caught his eye. "What? talk to me please, I'm still here" "Daryl..." He mumbled. "What?" I looked in the direction he was looking in and saw him. "C'mon!" I shouted has we ran to Daryl. "Daryl!" I shouted. He looked up and over to me. "Maxie!" he yelled back, his smile faded once he saw Merle. Grabbing my wrist gently he pulled me behind him. "Stay away from her Merle" Daryl snapped. Merle put his hands up an once again had that crooked grin I've grown to hate. "Well, well Daryalina. Hello would be nice. And also show some respect. I'm the one who got her out of there" Daryl turned to look down at me, since I'm y'know short. "Yeah he helped me. I've been making deals with him" I could see anger boiling in him I could practically feel the heat. "Deal? What kind of deal!?" he shouted. "Info about you, if your alive!" I yelled back. "Hey, can we have this family talk else where? Were in a war zone" Merle yelled at both of us. We didn't even think twice before bolting to the wall, Daryl leading, me behind, Merle watching our backs.

Once in front of the wall I turned around and looked threw the smoke. Although it was still pretty think I noticed a man advancing towards us, gun in hand. I studied the man and I let out a scream. "What!?" Daryl shouted. "J-jake?" I mumbled. I became nervous and frightened and I closed my eyes tight and them opened them again to see it wasn't him, it was just some guy. I blinked a few times before that man shot at us, missing thank god but that gave my survival instinct a boost. Daryl lead us to a back ally and threw a broken fence, and with that we jogged a bit farther till we retched a large oak tree.

"What was that Maxie? Are you alright" Daryl asked, holding tight to my shoulders, making me face him. "I... I swore I saw Jake. That man. He- looked just like him" I mumbled, tears burning my eyes, demanding to be set free. "Maxie. Jakes dead. Maybe-" Daryl began. Your just tired. You didn't get much sleep these last few days. I'm sure I remember a small shack near by. we'll stay there for the night" Merle butt in. "You don't have any right to say anything" Daryl said sternly. "Oh your right. Lets hear your ideas then" Merle said, being sarcastic. "We. Meaning me and Maxie, are going back home" Daryl spat. "With the sheriff and that group? Daryl there's no home for us! We're the outcast! No one wants us. Wants you. Do what's best for the kid. She needs rest, the cabin is only a few minutes away and that prison is about five miles. She can't do that" Merle almost yelled, clearly pissed. "No one wants me. Or you?" Daryl spat back. "Lead the way jackass" he also said. Merle looked shocked but adjusted his knife for a hand and stalked into the woods. "Keeps close" Daryl whispered to me. And with that we followed Merle.

After a good fifteen minutes we ended up at some old abandoned cabin. Daryl being the first to step in, held his flashlight up and viewed our shelter for the night. It looked safe enough. Once I entered the cabin I darted for the kitchen. I looked threw the food pantry and was relieved and beyond happy to see a can of peaches. I have peaches but man I'm starving! opening the can I ate almost half before setting the can down. "Guys hungry?" I asked. Daryl nodded but Merle shook his head, after all, he did live in Woodbury. I'm sure he never worried about starving. I passed the rest of the peaches over to Daryl and I went and sat next to him at the small table with four chairs. "Think this was a family's cabin? for camping or something?" I asked after about two minutes of silence. "I dunknow. Could have been" Daryl mumbled. Back to him self and not the over protective father.

After more silence we decided to rest. "Here" Daryl whispered, pulling my iPod from his pocket. "Yes!" I smiled. "Luv mu toons!" I said has I put my headphones in. There were two rooms in the building. One looked like a boys room, walls green and bedding blue. I walked over to the dresser and ran my fingers over the carvings in the wood. A.H "A.H" I mumbled. Hearing rumbling coming from the closet, I pulled out the pocket knife and opened the closet quickly, ready for the walker. Which turned out to be a boy, a cute boy. "Please don't hurt me!" he yelled once he saw me. "Wait. Your just a girl?" he seemed shocked. "Cute but a jackass" I muttered.

"Got any family?" Daryl asked. The boy shook his head. "Well then. Lets kill him" Merle suggested. "No! Merle screw off" I yelled. "Shut up! there are walkers around here. "Daryl's right. What's your name?" I asked. "Archer Hood. You?" "Maxie Woods. That's Daryl Dixon and his brother, Merle, the Jackass, Dixon" I smiled, Merle glared. "Maxie, can I speak with you?" Daryl asked, walking out of the room. "Do I have a choice?" I muttered under my breath. "What should we do with him?" Daryl asked. I was shocked. I get an option on this? "Bring him to the prison. It's the human thing" I said, sneaking a glance over to him. "Whatever. You just think is 'hawt'" Daryl joked. "Whatever!" I could feel my cheeks heating up. "Ok, Merle you take first watch. Maxie, you sleep, Archer, you sleep on the couch" Daryl instructed. We all nodded and walked over to wear w should be. Once I retched the room I was in before, which I guess is Archers room, I dug threw the dresser for something else to wear. Stripping off my old cloths which stuck to me with blood and sweat, I pulling on some sweats and a t-shirt which were both two sizes to big. Noticing a blanket neatly folded at the foot of the bed, I grabbed that and a spare pillow I didn't need and took them down to Archer, careful not to wake Daryl. I know what your thinking: No! What about Carl!? Don't worry. Me and Archer won't happen. Sure he's a pretty boy, but not my type.

Once I retched down stairs, I passed him the blankets with just a simple 'here' before I turned around to head back up stairs. "Thanks. For not killing me, and I guess the blanket and pillow to" he said after me. "Yeah, no problem" I smiled. "Hey, you look good in my cloths" he grinned. I really want to punch him. "Whatever." and with that I turned to head back upstairs.

I laid in bed just starring at the ceiling. Letting out a sigh I headed to the window. I opened it and climbed up to the roof, pulling a small blanket after me. It was cold, because it is just about December, but I will live. "Can't wait to be home. Back at the prison. It took a little while but these people, this group, accepted me has family. That gives me hope for a better life. Sure there's bumps in the road, some almost got me killed, but that's life, now. That's life now. Anyways, I'm not sure who I'm talking to or if anyone up there is listing but if someone is, thank you. for a second chance to live my life" after my little speech to heaven, if there is one, I smiled up to the sky and then climbed back down and flopped on the bed.

"Maxie!" "Maxie!" "Max!"
Wha... I opened my eyes and shivered, I left the stupid window open. "What?" I mumbled. "Wake up" Archer grinned. "Time to go to this 'home' you speak of" "I hate you..." I mumbled. "Why? Cause I'm hotter then you" "pfft. Please. In. Your. Dreams pretty boy" I joked back. Wow, I made a new guy friend. I headed down stairs to where Daryl was standing, looking tired. Must be stressed. "Ready to go?" he asked. "Yeppers. Can't wait to be home again" I smiled. Home, I never really thought of it like that. "C'Mon pretty boy" "it's Archer" he glared playfully. "Nah. I like pretty boy more" Leaving it at that we began heading home, back to our family.

Back to Carl.