Chapter 40! Whoops

Ok quick note before you read:

Chapter 40 my amazing survivors! Ok so I thought I'd give you guys something you said you wanted: Maxie and Carl back together. I won't have that exactly right away, let them work it out first ;)

I also wanted to say thanks to you all for being so freakin' awesome! Without you guys I don't think I could of made it past chapter two at the most. Last i checked Till I Die is number 8 for Carl Grimes FF (eeek!)
You guys inspire me so much! One small comment makes me smile and makes the day better (keep it up! I need some happiness right now, drama at my school is really bad at the moment) anyways I won't bore you no longer...

You may scroll down to read now :)

Half a week past and almost everyone was done getting their gifts, well everyone but me. Apparently I can't leave the prison because its 'to dangerous'. To me that's BS. "Rick C'mon! I've been shot, beaten, threatened, neared death over a thousand times, and got bit by a walker and lived. I think I can handle a run for gifts" I said, giving him some attitude. "Maxie, you don't know what's out there-" Rick started. "Neither do you!" I but in, he just continued. "Phillip is out there, other threats too. Maxie the group, including myself, want you safe and alive, how can I make sure that happens if every time something pops up your rushing in and getting yourself killed" he huffed out, holding his nose between is index finger and thumb. "Rick I'm always fine. So is the group! I can defend-" "You can't always be the hero Maxie!" he shouted, making me flinch."Rick just because you can't be the hero, doesn't mean I can't" the words just came out and I mentally slapped myself in my head.

Rick stood up straighter then I thought he could and mumbled something I could hardly hear. "Pardon me?" I snapped. "Your grounded!" he snapped back. "You can't ground me just cause you people won't let me leave!" I shouted in anger. "I talked with Daryl and Carol and Autumn. And not just that Max, you have bad attitude towards me and your peers" peers? what is this? Some type of lecture? "Autumn gets no say in anything about me" I snapped. "Well Carol and Daryl do! And we talked it over. If you didn't agree to just agree, then you'd be grounded" "Rick!" I whined like an eight year old. "I'm fourteen now! And this is like, Dead run wild. I'm helpless if I'm forced to stay in my room!" I grumbled, tossing my hands in the air.

"Maxie, it's just till we figure out more about Phillip and Woodbury. Once the snow is gone you can go all guns and blazing again" Daryl gave a dry chuckle, startling me a bit has he sat on the steps behind me. "Till the snow is gone? Ill forget what the sun looks like! Really dad!" I pouted, sarcasm in my voice. "No kid. Now get ready for dinner. We're having ham and corn" he smiled. Since we got power, the stove in the cafeteria works, but since the prisoners that were here used the freezer as a shit box, we were all to grossed out to eat in there so we moved the stove to our cell block C and BAM! Now we can cook food again (not just over the fire I mean).

I huffed a sigh has I cursed the well know four letter words under my breath. After a normal dinner of talking and smiling till our cheeks hurt I finished eating and pretty much dragged myself up the stairs. "What's your deal?" AnnaBeth asked, following me to the cell. (Carl and AnnaBeth switched cells so now I share one with her, well after I convinced him I needed some bestfriend time, and he put up a fight and so I had to explain some things about gossip and braiding each others hair and all that best girly stuff, even though as you can clearly see I'm more of the outdoors type of a girl but not quiet a tomboy, then he left, well after five more minutes of me staring at him to make him uncomfortable did he leave) I sighed and sat on the bed next to her, gently putting Charming on my lap and stroked his soft brown/black fur. "I got grounded" I mumbled. "Really? That BS!" she exclaimed. "I know! that's what I said!" I said, my voice raised a bit. "Why?" she asked simply, I shrugged, "apparently I can't leave the prison and this way they can make sure" "wow" AnnaBeth mumbled has she grabbed Loyal from the piled sheets and pillows we were using for their bed. "Hey sweetheart" Anna said in a baby voice, making me giggle a bit. "Hehe, anyways, I'm sure there's more than just that" she resumed our conversation. "Well apparently I'm always a hero with attitude" I gave a dry chuckle. "Do I? have attitude?" I asked. "Well... you can be a smart ass" she shrugged, then grinned. "Lets go see the boys" with that she set Loyal on the bed and went to her duffel bag and pulled out some nice dark grey jeans and a green long sleeved shirt, wait? "hey that's mine!" I said, putting Charming by Loyal and standing up to grab the shirt. "I just borrowed it! Its cute!" she pouted. I gave her a playful glare and sighed, passing her the shirt back. She smiled and changed her cloths well I did the same, pulling on black leggings and a long Mickey Mouse t-shirt that ended a pinky length before my knees. Last but not least I pulled on my fuzzy black knee high boots and my favorite thing in the entire world, my red beanie that was ripped and worn, tucking all my hair up in it. "You still have that old rag?" AnnaBeth said, sounding surprised. "It's my lucky charm, of course I do" I gave her goofy grin. After she put on her grey ankle tall boots and put her hair in a side braid, we headed for the boys cell, taking the puppy's with us. "I always wanted a dog" I smiled. "I know, you told me that the last time- last time I saw you before you 'disappeared'" she said, her voice wavy. I sighed and looped my arm through hers, holding Charming in my left hand.

"Hey Lucas!" Anna smiled, walking over and sitting next to him on his bed. I took note of the boom he was reading : The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolken. Carl and Archer are on watch I'd assume since they weren't here. "Where'd you get that?" I asked. He looked up from the book and closed it. "Found it in Woodbury, they have a great library there. That's all I miss" he chuckled. "Is it a good book?" I asked. "Here, I just finished it" he smiled. "Really?" I haven't read a book in a while. "Sweet. Thank you" I smiled, taking the book. "No problem. Anyways, you guys coming?" He asked. "Where?" said AnnaBeth. "We're going outside, its nice enough to build forts and whatever" and with that he stood up, grabbed Anna's hand and helped her up and with walked to the cell where we keep all the coats and gloves. "Be right there. Here I'll take Loyal, Autumn and Carol are dying to see 'em" I smiled to AnnaBeth. "Thanks, see you in a bit" she smiled back before holding Lucas's hand well I saluted to him, he just smiled a small grin.

After putting the puppy's in the hands of Carol and Autumn, and saying hi to Daryl and Hero since they were also at the tables, Hero sitting beside Daryl on the steps well he patted her head, I went to get ready to head outside. "Where you going?" Said Daryl in a fatherly bossy tone has I walked toward the cells/closet where the coats are. "Daryl, I'm going outside to hang out with my friends! Can I please?" I begged. I was shocked at what I said, not that it wasn't true, but how it was something a normal teenage girl would say in a normal none dying world. "Fine, but if any trouble stirs, you coming side. Got it?" he asked, pointing a finger at me. "Yes Dad!" I huffed, raising my voice a little well I spoke. Walking up to the stairs I pumped into Sophia. "Sorry Soph. Hey you coming?" I asked. "Outside?" she questioned, I nodded. "Yeah, Archer invited me" she smiled, blushing a little. "Oh ok" I grinned, poking her in the ribs. "Hey! I don't- it's not like that! No!" she said, blushing more. "I never said anything, proving that you do in fact like him" "shut up and let's go" she grumped. After I slipped on a red coat, black wool scarf with normal thin black finger mittens and since we didn't have winter boots for everyone I had to wear the- what Carol calls-dress boots i put on earlier and walked out. When I got outside Sophia was already waiting with Archer, AnnaBeth, Lucas and yep you guessed it, Carl. The sun was out and the deep snow started to melt a little, and I noted 'sticky snow, that's good, snowball fight here I come' "Hey guys, gals" I smiled has I jogged up to them. The all gave their shares of "hey"'s before resuming their conversation, "Ok. teams are easy, boys against girls" Archer smiled. "What are we doing? Team for what?" I whispered to AnnaBeth. "Snowball fights and stuff" she shrugged, "got it" I smirked. "Ok, both teams get fifteen minutes to prepare for the snowball fight. Maxie, will you do us the honor to start the countdown" said Lucas. I nodded. "5...4...3...2...1.. Go!" I shouted and each team bolted to a guard tower.

"Alright. Let's kick some guys butts" I smiled. "Ok- AnnaBeth and Sophia, you guys start thinking of attack strategizes, i'll spy on the enemy" After the nodding in an understanding matter did I bolt around the guard tower, sneak behind their guard tower, and stand around the corner watching and listening to what they were saying, in a total non-stalker way, all well still taking note of what was around me: Prison, Guard towers, base camp for girls, base camp for boys, open fields. "Ok, sneak around the back of the guard tower from the left angle, attack from behind. Simple yet difficult. Maxie and the girls have good strategizes, we need to out brain her" Archer said well using his index finger to sketch a plan and map in the snow. "Right, we should spy on them, figure out their plans first, than plan ours" Said Carl. "Wait a minute! What if we're being watched? You know, 'keep an eye on the enemy' kind of thing" Lucas pointed out. "Your right!" said Archer, pointing at Lucas. I looked between the three- wait where's Carl? My eyes went wide has I tuned on my heals, bumping into Carl and stumbling a bit "Can I help you?" Carl smirked, making me blush like crazy. "No- I was just looking around, planning stuff out, you know" I gave a half smile, trying to regain my cool. "Oh really? So you weren't just checking me out?" He grinned. I felt my face heat up has I pushed myself off him and straitened up. "That never crosses my mind. Archer on the other hand..." I joked, pure sarcasm in my voice, Carl smiled before he whistled loud enough for both teams to hear. "Times up!" he shouted, and right away I dived for the snow, rolled in in my hands to form the perfect snowball and tossed it at Carl, hitting him the right shoulder. "Aha!" I laughed, tossing my hands in the air. "Oh yeah?" he grinned, running towards me with a handful of snow. My eyes went wide and I dashed towards my team, who were already being attacked by Archer and Lucas. I joined up with them, dodging the snowballs Carl was throwing at me, and shouted "Attack!" in a full out battle cry, dashing at the enemy. I could clearly see the surprise in their eyes has us three dashed at Carl, Lucas and Archer.

After ten minutes of just hitting each other, did we finally take it to the next level, when Carl it my shoulder, I acted has if it really hurt, I mean it did but not has much as I made it look like. "Oh my god! Maxie I'm so sorry" Carl apologized, kneeling down beside me. At the moment, everyone stopped attacking and I made eye contact with AnnaBeth who gave a faint nod. "We should get you to Hershel" Carl side helping me up. "No it's fine really" I said, my voice wavy well I grasped my shoulder. "Are you sure?" he asked. "Are you ok?" I asked, batting my eyelashes a bit. "Why would I-" has if it was planned, which it was, a bucket of snow was dumped on each of the guys heads. "What the hell?!" Archer shouted has the bucket was dumped on him by Sophia. "Cheaters!" Yelled Lucas after AnnaBeth dumped her bucket on his head. Well Carl was distracted with what was going on, I grabbed the small bucket of snow I had behind me and poured it on him, he swore under his breath before turning to me, tackling me to the snow and knocking my beanie off. Shocked, I screamed a little, laughing at the same time. We rolled around in the snow laughing till I was finally on top, pinning him to the ground, my hair dangling around my face creating almost like a wall around our heads. Looking him in the eyes, his amazing eyes, I lost myself. Without thinking, I kissed him- I kissed him- wait I kissed him! I pulled my head away and got off him, apologizing. "Sorry! I didn't mean to! I- I don't know what came over me" I said, going for the simplest cover. "It's fine" he side, almost sounding out of breath well he leaned up on his elbows, looking at me in disbelief, but for a second, I swore I saw happiness in his eyes. Most likely not. "Well that was fun!" I huffed out, brushing the snow off my pants. "I got to go now though" and with that I turned around and walked towards the prison, years in my eyes. "Maxie wait up!" Shouted Anna. I stopped for a brief moment before turning to face her. "I got to come to, I promised I'd help Maggie with laundry" she said to me and everyone else. She looped her elbow with mine and has we walked to the prison, once passing those two, large doors, I bursted in tears and AnnaBeth pulled me into a hug. "It's ok" she whispered well smoothing the back of my head. "What happened?" she asked kindly. "I still love him! I meant everything I said in that letter!" I sniffled. "Even the part where I want him to move on! But even at the same time I want nothing more then him to hold me in his arms and tell me it's alright" I cried. "I still love him" I breathed shakily.

It was the truth, I loved Carl Grimes and nothing could change that, but why not? Why can't he move on and I get over it? Why do I still love him, can't we just be friends?