CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

Lord Wallace stood with a fatigued slump in his shoulders. He licked his lips nervously, his eyes drifting to Deebee and Adar before giving his reply. "Thank you, Your Majesty, for saying so. I take my oaths as binding once they leave my lips."

"Even so..."

"If I may, Your Majesty," Wallace interjected. He had difficulty meeting Enfri's eye even though he stood a full two feet over her; Dellish appeared to be exceptionally tall as a rule. "My house is young, and I am only the third Lord Corwyn. My grandfather claimed his title when I was a boy. I saw the birth of my house, Your Majesty. I don't want to see the end of it."

Enfri looked down at her feet and nodded. She understood his feelings better than he might have thought. "Your queen may be displeased by this alliance, my lord."

His lips pressed together, slight but noticeable, and there was a tremor born of frustration in them. His refined diction fled, revealing his upbringing as a southern farmer. "As I ken, Your Majesty," he said, voice tight with emotion, "Queen Indigar spat on what oaths my gran'fer gave her when she took the levies and hid behind the River City's walls. Damnation on the craven, and damnation on the houses that won't lift a finger to send help to the people 'round here. We lost everything when those floundering Altieri traitors marched through."

Wallace grit his teeth and looked away. Rumors were already circulating that dragons were responsible for the destruction in Althandor, and he may soon face condemnation for pledging his house to hers. Enfri wanted to say something helpful and profound, but all she could do was place her hand on his forearm.

"And you're willing?"

"Aye, Your Majesty. The queen's abandoned us. Half the goodfolk think we sit at feast as they starve and won't shed no tears to see our pyres."

"They'll change their minds," Enfri promised. "I'll make sure they know that House Corwyn is responsible for the supplies they're getting. Our boats have an uncontested route down the river to Ecclesian waters. I can't provide much, but it'll be enough for your goodfolk."

She raised her voice a little louder for everyone to hear. "Your family can find safe quarter in Ecclesia. They will be guests at my estate until it is safe to return home."

"And... myself, Your Majesty?"

Enfri swallowed. This part was what she found most difficult, bullying them once they were hers. "You may leave fifteen of your armsmen to secure your holdings here. You and the rest of your armsmen will be placed under the command of Knight-Marshal Bannlyth the Karst until the renegade Elise is brought to justice."

Wallace's eyes widened almost imperceptibly. "Karst," he whispered.

"My First Knight, and the Lord of Rubies."

"I thought the Karsts were gone. Traitors, the lot of them."

"Not my Karsts, my lord," Enfri said firmly. "I'd wager a penny against a mark on Ban's honor over any other man in the world."

Lord Wallace blinked, a poleaxed look on his face that quickly spread into a grin. "Aye, Your Majesty. As you say, it'll get done."

Enfri wondered if it was for the best that Ban couldn't come to see houses swear allegiance. The further from Ecclesia they went, the opinions of his family got darker. It was a blessing in disguise that he was too preoccupied with administrating the camp to attend. Whatever the reason for his absence, Enfri would need to find him as soon as her duties here were over. There was a matter to see to that was as overdue as it was unpleasant.

All that was left was for Enfri and Lord Wallace to join their seals. They signed their names to Reyn's document, then pressed their signet rings into globs of sealing wax. Reyn rolled the paper up and placed it into a scroll case for delivery to the Yora Estate clerks. After parting pleasantries, the Corwyns and their escort returned up the hill to their stately plantation manor.