Chapter Two

The Latching Procedure goes as follows:

1. A Doctor or Certified Lab Technician (CLT) will place the civilian in a Cubicle.

2. If the civilian is keeping their body, they will be placed in a simulated sub-zero temperature. Temperature may vary, but it is expected to be below one hundred degrees Celcius. This will prepare the body to adopt another soul.

3. If the civilian is Donating their body to the Community, they will be placed in a simulated above-zero temperature. Temperature may vary, but it is expected to be above one hundred degrees Celcius. This will prepare the soul to leave the body.

4. The soul being Latched travels through a Latching pipe, and enters the body of their Latched pair.

5. Latched civilian spends a week at the lab for tests. During this time, they will receive their new name, new passport and other forms of identification, and they will rehabilitate their body to get used to it and keep it as healthy as possible.

6. After a week has passed, the Latched civilian will return to their assigned home and resume their lives normally.  

- The Handbook to Latching, published in 2276

A doctor at the lab welcomes us in, taking us to the receptionist's desk to sign in.

"Noon Latching for—" Anais chokes. Her face goes pale, and her worrisome blue eyes lock on me.

"Noon Latching for Discover de Vries and Anais Proctor," I say, and smile warmly at her. She returns one, although it's weak and frail, and the receptionist nods.

"Please follow Dr. Abernathy into Laboratory C6," he says monotonously. He gestures to a petite doctor in a long, pure white coat, with large glasses that magnify her glittering black eyes. The receptionist's eyes never leave his computer.

"Um, thanks," I say. This isn't what I was expecting. Perhaps a little more compassion for two nervous girls about to be Latched is in order. But we do as he says, and follow Dr. Abernathy down a corridor as white and clean as her coat.

"You've both read the Handbook, correct?" Dr. Abernathy pipes in a ridiculous, squeaky voice.

"Yes," Anais tells her, and I can tell she's trying hard not to laugh.

"Excellent," she says and opens the door to Laboratory C6. The room is white, antiseptic, and—

Empty?

"Um, where is everything?" I ask.

"Sorry?" Dr. Abernathy asks.

"Where are the Cubicles, and the Latching pipes, and—" 

"Oh, we did away with all that centuries ago. Poor dears, I suppose those Handbooks of yours are quite outdated." 

Anais looks at me like she's a deer in headlights. For once, I feel panicked too. If there aren't any Cubicles, how are we ever going to get prepared to be Latched? If we aren't cleansed of emotion and our bodies aren't sufficiently frozen or heated, then our Latching will go wrong. Very wrong.

"So what'll you use to Latch us?" Anais asks, in a strangled sort of voice.

"You needn't worry about that now. First, we need to get rid of your emotions. You see, emotions are the colors of the soul. For the Latching to work properly, the soul needs to be white. White is a beautiful, pure color." I agree, but I don't say anything. I don't want Anais to think I'm sucking up to the doctor.