XXXIX. A Couple's Guide to Courtship

Start from the beginning

It was time for Wakefield to pat Ysabella's back when she sighed and dropped her shoulders with resignation.

"When do you ken your bruises will heal, William, dear?" Alice Everard asked, her face too serious and nonchalant all the same that Wakefield swallowed the laughter in his throat.

"Uh—"

"A week the least," Cole replied for him. "Mine took more than a fortnight."

Ralph and Nicholas chuckled with contentment but stopped when Margaret sent them a darting look from across the table.

"Very good, then!" Lady Alice clapped her hands together. "And while we all—"

"What is it, Blair?" Benedict's alarmed voice stopped their mother's next words, forcing everyone to look at Agatha with concern.

Benedict's wife was wincing, as if in pain.

"Oh, oh, oh!" Lady Alice said, jumping to her feet. "Charlotte! Charlotte!" she shouted and a middle-aged woman who appeared to be the housekeeper came rushing in. "It is time!" The housekeeper's eyes widened and she immediately walked out of the dining room, shouting names and orders.

"What is it?" Ralph and Nicholas asked, jumping to their feet, looking at Agatha.

Maxwell was also making his way toward Agatha. "The doctor, Jefferson!" he cried at the butler.

"Take her to her chamber, Ben!" Margaret said, jumping to her feet. "When did the pain start, Agatha?"

Agatha winced and closed her eyes in pain. "This morning."

"Bloody hell, Blair!" Benedict cried out, scooping his wife in his arms. "That is why you have been awfully quiet than your usual. Why did you not say anything!"

"No, I can walk—truly, I can—"

"No!" Nicholas, Ralph and Maxwell cried out, walking behind Benedict as he carried his wife out of the room.

Lady Alice went to find Charlotte. Margaret followed the brothers. Emma and Ysabella stood in front of their seats, quite lost.

"It is time for a new babe, sisters," Levi wryly explained the obvious.

"Oh Sweet Mr. Jones! Of course!" the two ladies cried out, jumping to follow Margaret and the others.

Wakefield, Levi and Cole were left in the dining room.

Levi sighed. "Perhaps it is time to pour Benedict some brandy," Levi said. He looked at Cole and Wakefied, brows arched. "Well? Are you not joining me?"

"I still have trouble assessing whether or not you are serious, as you can see," Wakefield said, pointing at his swollen right eye.

His friend glared at him. "Do you want to find out what it would feel with both eyes?" Levi asked.

"No, of course not," Wakefield said, standing up with a grunt.

Cole patted his shoulder as they followed Levi to the drawing room. "Be thankful they are not depriving you of the good brandy," the man muttered beside him.

*****

Agatha's labour was not merely excruciating for the entire family, but it also did cause everyone to worry. She had lost the first child and Benedict and the others could not help but wonder if she was handling the process well.

Margaret had emerged from the room merely once to tell everyone that Agatha was doing great. But that was five hours ago.

Wakefield stayed with Ysabella and the others and watched as Benedict paced around the room, refusing the brandy offered by his brothers. He had tried to join the rest of the ladies earlier but he was kicked out.