XXXIX. A Couple's Guide to Courtship

Dearest William,

I saw him today.

I am afraid he chose not to see me.

Would you be so kind as to give him a good beating should fate allow it?

Your friend,

Lady Weis

*****

"Do not be embarrassed, dear boy," Lady Alice said, staring at Wakefield as though she saw the same sight every day. "It does not bother me, truly. As a matter of fact, you did manage to come out better than poor Cole did in this time." She looked around the table to give her sons a scowl. "But I must admit I am very much disappointed at all of them—"

"I did not lift a finger," said Maxwell.

"As did I," Benedict added beside his wife.

"Well, I did not lift a finger, but I was certainly hoping I did," Ralph droned, causing Ysabella to scowl beside Wakefield.

"Ah, next time then," Nicholas said, following it with a laugh when their mother glared at them.

"But no beating from here on, of course," Lady Alice said to Wakefield. "You are family now."

Her statement was met with groans and grunts from five men around the table.

This time, Ysabella managed a satisfied smile.

Wakefield managed a smile that did not hurt his swollen face. "Thank you, my lady. I hope you did have a marvellous time with my mother."

"She and your brother were terrific, dear. As a matter of fact, I have accepted their invitation to spend a fortnight in Bertram after the wedding."

"They talked about baby names," Emma said with a snort. "I believe they came up with nearly ten names."

Wakefield suddenly found it hard to swallow. Ysabella lightly patted his back when he started to cough.

Ralph and Nicholas guffawed.

"I want the first boy be named after me," Maxwell said, surprising everyone.

"I am the eldest," Benedict disagreed.

"No one is—" Ysabella started but Levi spoke for the first time, eyes hard on Wakefield, "I am the best friend."

Everyone fell quiet. Maxwell, Ralph and Nicholas shrugged. Ben shared a look with Margaret.

Wakefield cleared his throat and smiled at the rest of the group. "It is settled then."

"And while I also enjoy names," Lady Alice said, her tone suddenly serious. "We must talk about how we shall announce the engagement."

Margaret frowned. "We can simply do it the usual manner, Mother."

"You are saying you shall deprive me of my fun, dear?" Lady Alice asked, eyes filled with malice. "I wish to do this in a grand way."

Ysabella groaned beside Wakefield. She leaned to whisper in his ear, "I did say we go to Tiny Town, did I not?"

He chuckled under his breath and stopped when he saw Nicholas and Ralph glaring at him.

"What do you suggest then, Mother?" Emma asked, back straight with excitement. "I would love to see the reaction of the ton. Have they not made fun of you, Ysa?"

Ysabella started to shake her head. "Truly, I do not wish to—"

"Ah, never mind her, Mother," Emma said with a wave of her hand. "She is too eager to get to the wedding day to think of the engagement."