Chapter 1: First Scar

'I know who she is brother Tono', said Toa.

'You do? Who is she then?', the elder princed asked. He just couldn't get over his shock over her comment earlier. Even if she looked presentable, she didn't have a right to make fun of Him. He was a prince and no one dares comment negatively to him. He didn't think that a woman who had long, black wavy hair could have the courage to undermine his superiority. The round black eyes she had could never discern the greatness that was before her. Her plump lips could never express his beauty properly. Most of all, her well-toned body could never match his strength.

Prince Tono shook his head. For a mere woman, her mouth was way over the line.

'I saw her in one of my dreams', Toa said breaking his thoughts. Most of the adults would think that his brother was delusional but Tono knew better. His brother had a gift: He is able to see things, people and events in his dreams and sometimes, he has visions as well. It is not the same as foresight; his gift only showed what was happening in the present. He also cannot control his visions. Only Tono and his parents knew of Toa's gift. They thought it safer for the younger prince. They did not want other people to kidnap the prince because of his gift.

'What was your dream about her? Was she doing anything stupid?', asked Tono.

'No. She was crying.'

Too suprised to ask more, Tono just continued to walked towards the castle.

--

Rena ran swiftly towards the sound of the bird's cry. She knew who was calling her. She was smart enough to distinguish the friendly whistle from the annoyed bird call of that person. On normal circumstances, she would ignore him and continue exploring the forest she was currently in but she knew she had responsibilities to fulfill today.

She frowned. And I thought I would be able to take a dip in the pool.

(editing this part)

'Where have you been Rena? You do remember that we have to be briefed on what will happen this morning, right?'

Rena frowned at the large, bulky man in front of her. His hair had been shaved clean but a healthy bunch of mustache was present on his visage. Most people would cower at his largeness, but Rena didn't since she treated her as an older brother. 'I know, Boro. But the chief shouldn't have bothered to call me earlier than the expected meeting schedule. I would have appeared on-the-clock anyway. Did he say anything to you as to why we had to talk earlier that expected?'

'He didn't. But there were reports from our place during your time of absence and he has been agitated since. I have never seen him act like so. That is the reason I called you. Come on, we better start trudging back to camp', replied the large man.

I wonder what kind of news the chief received...

The campsite was quiet when Rena and Boro arrived. They both unsheated their swords and approached the entrance cautiously. A vision of carnage was what they saw.

No!

The flesh of their comrades were at random places. Their eyes spoke of the suprise of death. Their injuries shouted no more than 'work of professional killers': their throats were slashed, skulls were smashed, guts spewed from their bellies. Running into one of the tents, Rena saw one of her comrades lying in a pool of blood. A knife was embedded in his heart.

This cannot be true...

'Rena! Come here.', Boro shouted.

With leaden feet, Rena walked towards the chief's tent. What greeted her was the sight of their chief spread eagled on the make-shift meeting table, his face carved with the intense pain he felt at his time of death. She fell to her knees and stared at the man whom she respected and loved as a father.

Boro was holding a blood-stained parchment in his hands. He placed it into his pocket and walked towards Rena. He grabbed her ams, brought her to her feet and spoke to her in a gruff voice, 'Let us make them their ertna. We ought to make them a proper burial place.'

'In this country? No we cannot. They should be buried in ours. Do you think the royal family of this country will allow outsiders such as us to bury our dead here? Also, I do not think our comrades would like to be buried in any place other than ours.'

'Do not be daft, Rena. We are leagues away from our home. We cannot cart all of our comrades by ourselves. Such a feat would require manpower and money at the least. Both of those, we do not have.'

'But--'

'No more objections. Let us do what we must here and head to the palace in place of the chief. We have been dispatched to this place for a reason, after all.'

Rena nodded and both of them proceded to clear the scene of carnage.

________end of chapter________

Hiya reader! I edit everything that I post every now and then. I do this if I feel that my story is too rushed or if it feels like it is lacking something. I'd like to receive your comments or suggestions. However, I would really appreciate it if your comments are to be said nicely. Just to remind you, this is my first time writing a story, so bear with me. :) Thank you again, and see you on the next chapter! :)