Chapter 18

Iroh, Bolin, Asami, and I all made ourselves fit on the back of the Avatar's polar bear dog. We scaled the mountains, and it took a lot of distracting from Iroh and Bolin to keep me from looking down as we grew farther from ground level. Bolin's hands on my waist made me that much more anxious, making me wish I had traveled with Korra and Mako instead.

We reached a cliff that overlooked the Equalist Airfield, just as Mako had predicted. "I think we found secret airfield," Iroh said.

With much sarcasm, I said, "No kidding."

Iroh dismissed my remark. "Bolin, once we get down there, I need you to tear up those runways. We can't let those aircrafts take off."

Bo gave a dramatic salute, likely fulfilling some childhood dream. "Aye, aye, Captain!" After having to force Naga and Pabu to stay, we all made our way to the airfield. However, something seemed awry. There were fence posts, yet no fence.

"This doesn't make any sense," I said. I took a step forward, but Bolin grabbed my hand to stop me. "C'mon, Bo." I tried to reason with him as I pulled my hand away. "What's the worst that could happen?"

Having no argument, everyone followed my lead and trudged forward — and was met with a harsh electric shock.

-------------------

"Gran Gran!" I shrieked and scurried through the palace corridors in search for her as a young Iroh playfully chased after me. "Gran Gran!"

I turned a corner as Iroh let out a monstrous roar, making me squeal again. I found my grandmother standing with a soldier, both of them speaking in hushed tones. I paid no mind. I ran behind her, giggling and hiding behind her. She looked down at me and gave a wary smile that made her look older than she was.

"Is everything okay?" Iroh asked.

Gran Gran frowned tiredly, making the wrinkles on her face become more visible, and shook her head. "It's Akira," she said. I frowned at the sound of my mother's name. My grandmother didn't explain any further. She picked me up and flashed a warm smile, pushing my hair from my round face. "My lovely princess," she said softly, "I'm going to keep you safe, I promise. Now, go play with Iroh, okay?"

I didn't know what she meant, but I knew something was wrong. Anything involving Mommy was wrong.

She set me down and bent down to kiss my forehead before sending me off to resume our rousing game of Monster. (I was never very creative with names.) Iroh gave another growl, initiating the continuation of our game. I squealed and hurried away as he chased me toward the garden.

----------------------

I woke with a throbbing in my head and a shooting pain throughout the rest of my body. I was seated next to Asami with my head on her shoulder. My ears were ringing and everything was blurry, though voices could vaguely be heard. Asami, I knew for sure, was angry about something. As my hearing and vision cleared, I could hear Asami saying, "Mom would hate you for what you've become." I groggily looked around, blinking the world into focus, and found that I was the last person to come to. I turned my head and saw that it Hiroshi Sato that Asami was arguing with.

"Leinani," a voice whispered. "Leinani! Oh, thank the Spirits! I was beginning to worry." I blinked again to rid myself of the multiple Iroh's sitting in front of me.

"The airplanes are ready for takeoff, sir," an Equalist said from behind him.

"Good," Hiroshi said. "Annihilate the fleet." When Iroh and Bolin gasped, Hiroshi sneered. "That's right, General. I intercepted your message to Commander Bumi. I know exactly where they're hiding."