Chapter 1

"Destruction of private property, theft, assault of an officer, involvement with gang-related crimes," the grey-haired woman read off. "You're in a heap of trouble, young lady. Don't think your relationship with the Fire Lord's family will get you a Get-Out-Jail card, either."

"I know," I said, the corner of my mouth twitching upward. "I've already used it enough."

"Don't sass me," the woman warned. "Fire Lord Zuko and his daughter didn't send you here just to wreak havoc." She sighed. "I agreed to keep an eye on you because your grandmother was a hero. I didn't volunteer to babysit a troublemaker."

Before I could reply, an officer pushed the door open, his face still marked with a red handprint. "Chief Beifong," he said, eyeing me angrily. "General Iroh is here."

With that, Iroh II stepped into the room, a stern look on his face as I stuck my tongue out at the officer. Iroh's disapproving frown was my cue to stand and follow him out, but I didn't say a word. Chief Beifong cleared her throat, causing me to stop in my tracks and turn around. "Leinani," she said. "Do me a favor, and stay out of trouble. I'm getting tired of Zuko calling me."

"Don't worry, Chief Beifong," Iroh said with a nod. "I'll make sure she behaves."

"I'm holding you to that, General," she called after as the door closed behind us. My face had become so familiar in the police department that nobody looked shocked whether I was escorted in or out.

"When are you going to learn?" Iroh asked me once we were outside. "For goodness' sake, Leinani, you make me feel older than I am. I can't keep getting you out of trouble like this."

"I'm sorry," I looked down, "but it wasn't my fault this time! It was Shady Shin! He-"

"I don't care whose fault it was, Leinani!" He said. Iroh took a deep breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. This had become routine, and I felt bad for it. Iroh II had always been like an older brother to me, and I was his reckless little sister. "This is the last time," he said. "This is the last time I'm bailing you out."

I tried to joke. "You said that last time." His glare forced me to retract my attempt at humor. I looked down, feeling small. "Got it..."

I heard Iroh sigh, and his arms were around me, chin rested on the crown of my head. "I have an opportunity for you," he said. "You can work for Hiroshi Sato. He's in need of an assistant. If you're really serious, I can arrange for you to work for him."

"A job?" My nose crinkled at the thought.

"You asked my mother and grandfather to send you here so you could find yourself," he reminded me. "You can't exactly do that behind bars."

I frowned, then nodded. "I'll do it. I want to prove to Izumi and Zuko that I can take care of myself."

I felt Iroh laugh. "That's the spirit," he grinned. He pulled back to look at me. "You're going to do great things, Leinani."

"It's funny," I said. "Gran Gran used to say that to Fire Lord Zuko all the time when they were young."

"And she wasn't wrong," he smiled.

"Is this the girl?" An uppity woman looked at me from behind the glasses perched on her nose.

"Yes," Iroh nodded, gesturing for me to stand. "Leinani Ho."

The woman gave an inquisitive hmm as she looked me over, clearly uncomfortable in formal attire. "I see," she said, jotting something down as she strutted into the large office and shut the doors behind her.

"That's it," I sighed. "I'm out."

I turned to leave, but Iroh grabbed my arm and pulled me back to his side. "Oh, no you don't," he said. "You're not backing out of this."

I frowned. "Iroh! There's no way I'm getting this -"

The secretary returned, clipboard in hand. "Mister Sato will see you now," she said, looking almost disappointed as she stepped aside to let me pass.

I look at Iroh, who nudges me forward. I step forward into office, and the door's quick slam behind me caused me to jump. I looked forward to see an older man behind the desk, hands folded, glasses on the bridge of his nose, greying hair - the works.

"Miss Leinani Ho," he said, eyeing me as I fidgeted. "You have no experience, a criminal record, and the only references you have are the Fire Lord's family members. Only idiot would hire you." He mustache twitched a bit. "But Iroh tells me that I'd be even more of an idiot to not give you the job... Tell me, what can the granddaughter of the great Saki bring to this company?"

I frowned. This was exactly why I left the Fire Nation. Being compared to my grandmother was the last thing I needed, and it was the one thing I hated most in the world. "I'm smart," I stated. "I'm ingenuitive, and I'm strong. Granted, this was used to the advantage of the Triple Threats - but if you'd seen what I can do, you wouldn't even be hesitating."

The man laughed. "I like you," he said. "You remind me of my daughter. Asami is just as headstrong, you two would get along. You've got the job, Leinani."

I bowed and thanked him, then turned to exit.

"Oh, and, Leinani?" His voice made me stop in my tracks. "Are you bender?"

"No, sir," I answered. It wasn't entirely true, but it wasn't a lie either. I just...didn't know. I had been told stories about how Gran Gran discovered her bending. How, during a small celebration in her village, her dancing had make the snow flurries follow her every movement, as did the waves. After years and years of trying, I'd eventually given up. Generations of powerful benders in my bloodline, all left to die in me. I frowned and asked, "Why do you ask?"

He replied, "Just curious. You may go."