Chapter 2

I started my job the next day, and Hiroshi Sato did not hesitate to test my endurance. I spent my morning ripping and running through Republic City to arrange meetings with his colleagues and ordering parts for his vehicles.

On my way to my final destination, a car slowed down to my pace. I kept my focus forward and refused to look at whoever was in the car. The window rolled down, and my attention was demanded by a very familiar man. "Well, if it isn't our favorite girl," purred Shady Shin. "I heard you got locked up. They just couldn't keep you in the slammer, could they, Leinani?"

"What do you want, Shady Shin?" I asked without looking at him, still walking.

"Relax," he chuckled. "You look tired. Let me give you a ride back."

"Keep driving, Shin," I told him.

"Come on, Leinani," he smirked. "Just a ride. No games, I promise."

I sighed. I was tired of walking, and Mr. Sato was going to skin me if I didn't hurry back. "Fine," I caved. "I swear on my grandmother's grave, Shin, if you're planning something-"

Shin climbed out of his car and checked it. As he opened the passenger door for me, he chuckled again. "Now, do you really think I would do something so shady?"

"Yes," I stated flatly as I climbed into the vehicle. "It's literally in your name."

He gave a laugh and climbed back into the driver's seat of the car, and he pulled off. Shin looked at my attire and whistled, eyeing me up and down. "Look at you, Miss Ho," he smiled crookedly. "All dolled up. What's occasion?"

"I have a job now. A real job. I work for Hiroshi Sato."

Shin laughed again, one hand on the wheel and the other arm draped around my shoulders as he drove. "Miss Leinani Ho is in the big leagues now," he said.

I rolled my eyes and let my hair out of its tight bun. My hair quickly fell around my shoulders, blowing back in reaction to the wind. If there was one downfall to this new job, it was having to look like Hiroshi's stuffy old secretary.

We soon pulled in front of the factory, and I let myself out of the car without giving Shady Shin the chance. I adjusted myself and began walked towards the building, then Shady Shin called out, "I'll be back to drive you around tomorrow."

"I don't need your help," I replied.

His smirk could be heard in his voice. "I wasn't asking." With that, he drove off, leaving a cloud of dust in his wake.

Seconds later, another vehicle sped forward, coming entirely too close to running me over. I let out a sharp yelp as the car halted to a stop. "What is your problem?" I shouted at the driver. "Don't you know how to drive?"

A figure emerged from the Satomobile, wide-eyed and beautiful. Long, raven hair, green eyes, and the makeup skills of a goddess. "Are you alright?" She asked. "I was just test driving it - I guess we know this one failed the test."

"I'm fine," I frowned and pushed my hair back into its place, rubbing dust from my eye and clothes.

The girl looked at me as she stepped closer, smiling. "You must be my father's new assistant," she said, helping to fix my hair.

"You're Asami?" My stomach dropped. I'd just yelled at my boss's daughter, and I was bound to lose my job on my second day.

She grinned at me. "Your name is Leinani, isn't it? I've heard all about you! Your grandmother was an inspiration! The way she -"

"I know all about my grandmother's story, thank you," I interrupted.

Asami's grin slowly faded. "You don't sound like you agree with what she did," she said. "Do you dislike her?"

"Of course I like her!" I answered defensively. "I love her! I just.... I don't want her to be the standard I have to live up to."

She smiled a bit again at my response. "I like you, Leinani," she said with a laugh. "You and I will get along just fine."

And she was right. As time passed on, we became closer and closer. Going into work seemed less like a job and more like visiting my best friend. Iroh and Lin were fairly impressed with my sudden "change" in behavior, saying that they'd never been more proud of me.

Another person that was true to their word was Shady Shin, who'd made it his obligation to drive me around while I was running errands for Mr. Sato. Shin had begun showering me with gifts: fancy dresses, jewelry - the works. He'd said that his "favorite girl" needed to look her best while working for a hotshot like Hiroshi Sato.

One particular afternoon, Shin was driving when we'd spotted a familiar earthbender boy and his pet fire ferret. Shin slowed down and gave a sly smile as he rolled down the window. "Hey, Bolin," Shin smirked. "Is that you?"

"Oh, hey, Shady Shin," Bolin looked down uncomfortably.

I half-smiled and leaned forward to look at him. "Hey, Bo."

Bolin blushed brightly, catching the attention of the girl next to him and making her visible fume at him blushing from another girl. "H-Hey, Leinani..."

Shin climbed out of the car, leaving me in the passenger seat as he approached Bolin. As they conversed, I kept my eye on the girl. She was clearly from the Water Tribe - Southern, presumably, based on her mannerisms. She had a boomerang at her side, and my stomach flipped at the sight of it.

Chief Sokka's boomerang.

There was no doubt as to who this girl was: The granddaughter of Mika and Sokka. I grimaced at the thought. Wasn't Gran Gran this unlucky when she tried escaping things too?, I thought.

Shin gave Bolin a sack of yuan before climbing back in the car, and the girl and Bolin quickly climbed into the backseat with his fire ferret perched on his shoulder. "H-Hi, Leinani," Bolin said again, fiddling with his fingers.

"Hi, Bo," I chuckled, then looked at Shin. "I need you to drive me back now."

"C'mon, baby, y-"

"I'm not your baby," I remind him, straight-faced. "I need to get back to work, so drive me back. I don't have time for these games."

Shin smirked before saying, "You really are a fiery one, 'Nani."

"You have no idea," I smirked back.

Once we reached the factory, I stepped out of the car. I leaned into the window and smirked back at the girl, then winked at Bolin. "See you again, Bolin," I purred.

His face brightened again, making the girl's face go red for an entirely different reason.

"You stay outta trouble," Shin said with a crooked smile.

I gave a mocking pout, poking out my bottom lip. "Oh, Shin," I said before strutting off to work, "I am trouble."