*****

Kael had parted ways with Drake outside the Gaol in order to return home, since he didn't have the energy to stop Zed and Drake from ripping each other's throats out. He was grateful to see Zed's door as he crossed the quiet street, pausing only to avoid a taxi that sped past.

As he reached out for Zed's door, Kael paused again. His eyes dropped to the blood bracelet circling his wrist and Tank's words replayed in his mind. He wasn't sure whether it was Tank or Cecile who were telling the truth, since both were as unreliable as each other, but if he were honest he hoped it had been Tank. When the connection between Kael and Taryn had been at its strongest, Kael had been able to use it to find Taryn when she disappeared in the middle of the night. But now?

Whatever magic powered the blood bracelets was still well and truly intact, regardless of his relationship with Taryn, otherwise there was no way it would have been able to break Metus' hold, but that didn't make sense to Kael. From his limited understanding, the blood bracelets were nothing more than an artefact to facilitate a bond – so why did it have the ability to fight against another force of magic?

Keeping me alive means keeping the connection alive as well, Kael realised. What if the blood bracelets not only facilitated a bond, but ensured the bond remained as well?

A chill crept up Kael's spine, but it had nothing to do with the cool night air. He felt something skim the back of his neck and recognised it as energy – demonic energy.

Turning around, Kael found a shadow coalescing behind him on the sidewalk, twisting about itself violently as if struggling to decide upon a form. Kael thought it was a wraith, but then it began to take the shape of a human with legs, arms and a torso forming amongst the shadows until the body was just a black silhouette. Eyes opened, the colour an unnaturally bright, clear blue, and Kael recognised them.

'Christian,' Kael muttered, his fists clenching.

The shadow seemed to peel away, and Christian Xavier stepped forward. 'That is the name of this body, yes.'

'And your name?'

Christian drew in long breath, considering Kael's question. 'The Angel hasn't told you?'

'The Angel hasn't bothered to show his face,' Kael replied.

'They are infuriating creatures, aren't they? I'd be happy to dispose of him for you.'

'Infuriating, yes. But I can't seem to despise him as much as I despise you,' said Kael.

There was such amusement in Christian's expression that Kael felt as if everything he said was a poorly executed joke, and Christian took great satisfaction from that. But it wasn't just that; Christian was coming off victorious, as if he had already won whatever game he was playing, claimed whatever it was he was seeking.

But Christian didn't have Taryn; the Alchemists did.

As if reading Kael's thoughts, Christian smiled and said, 'I must admit, the Alchemists have been surprisingly useful. You too, actually. You've been rather useful.'

'And here I thought I didn't have a purpose in life,' Kael remarked. 'You still haven't told me who you are, Infernum.'

'Oh, all right,' he said, and Kael felt his energy growing. 'My name is Asmodeus, you may have heard of me?'

Kael had, and the name resonated right through his bones. He felt Asmodeus' energy wash over him like it had beneath the train yard and it took all his strength to stay where he was. He resisted Asmodeus' energy and said, 'Why are you here? You know Taryn isn't with me.'