Chapter Three

'You can't do this!' Taryn shouted, banging her fist against the door until it hurt. She could hear the Alchemist walking up the stairs beyond her door and so she began to kick instead. She continued to kick even after she could no longer hear the Alchemist, even after she knew it was pointless, and even after her foot was aching.

But finally, Taryn stopped. She stopped because her body crumpled to the floor, like the weight of everything that had happened had suddenly crashed onto her shoulders and her legs could no longer bear to hold her up. With frustration swelling in her chest, Taryn slapped her palms against the cold ground, feeling the lance of pain shoot up her arms, and then dropped her head forward into her palms. She didn't even care that her fingers were coated with dust.

How could this have happened? How was she in Zed's, sulking over Kael, and then locked in a basement with nothing but the sound of dripping water to break the silence. She had woken up here a moment ago, an Alchemist whose name she didn't know and didn't care to know standing over her. Satisfied that she was awake, the Alchemist had left and locked her in.

She didn't know how long it had been since Asina betrayed them, how long she was unconscious, or even where she was. She didn't know anything, and she felt utterly helpless because of it.

Her gaze snapped back up to the door again, tempted to try and bash it open once more, but her body wouldn't let her. It was too fatigued, too stressed, to deliberately cause more pain to itself. She felt her chest swelling with frustration again, but it deflated easily, replaced with despair instead.

There were symbols etched in places on the door, which meant the Alchemists had prepared this room. How long had they known they were going to betray her and Kael? Wasn't this going against the Immortals, or were they in on it too? She couldn't trust anyone anymore! Or at least she didn't know who she could trust.

You can trust me.

Taryn's eyes snapped up, as if expecting to see Fury standing in front of her. She wasn't there though; she was in Taryn's head. The power, the creature or the demon or whatever was wearing Taryn's own face, that had appeared inside her after Christian's ritual atop the Immortal's office.

'You're the last person I'd want to trust,' Taryn replied.

It's not about wanting to, Taryn. You'll need to trust me soon, I assure it.

'Then I'll have to prove you wrong,' she said, 'now go away, I don't want to hear from you again.'

Oh, you will.

Someone came down toward the basement, and Taryn knew merely by the sound of the heels tapping against the concrete that it was Eden. She felt anger seep into her, her hands clenching into fists, but then she heard the sounds of other footsteps. Eden wasn't alone.

Taryn stood up just as the door opened, letting in Eden with two Alchemists standing at the doorway behind her.

'So,' began Taryn, forcing calm into her voice, 'I guess your kindness was merely an act. You really a good performer.'

Eden smiled. 'Thank you. Faking things comes naturally to me.'

'Then drop the kindness now and tell me why I'm here,' Taryn demanded, keeping the desperation out of her voice despite how tightly it clutched at her heart.

'You know why you're here,' said Eden, flicking her wrist in a silent command at the other two Alchemists.

'I don't!' Taryn exclaimed. 'But apparently I should, because everyone else does.'