Next, Hoseok tried focusing on the six rows of long white shelves in the middle of the store. Each row was stocked with candy from a different country. He ended up getting distracted by one of the tall cardboard columns with tiny holes where lollipops of every flavor stuck out in every direction like bedhead.

Hoseok was eventually reminded by his least favorite Voice, the one that's always irritated for no apparent reason, that he was supposed to be finding something tart for Jimin. "Oh right," he said to himself. "Thanks."

The first time he talked to himself in front of Yoongi, Hoseok had a full-blown whispered argument with the irritable Voice over what chocolate brand he should choose. It used to disturb Yoongi, but he's grown accustom to it over time. In fact, he would be totally freaked out if Jung Hoseok didn't talk to himself.

Slowly, he cocked his head to the side, and Yoongi sprung into action. "Do you need help finding something," Yoongi asked. He sighed loudly at the lack of recognition he received. This happens every single time, and every single time, Yoongi has to catch Hoseok's attention through touch. Yoongi had learned that touch was the number one way to catch this man's attention through a month's worth of trial and error.

Hoseok flinched at the sudden warmth on his shoulder, and slowly turned around with his lips pressed together. The man didn't want to socialize with another human being. He's not a social guy—not anymore. Nevertheless, Hoseok needs help. He spaced out for a minute or so before being scolded by his mind for not paying attention. Hoseok turned his attention towards Yoongi. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I asked if you needed help."

"Oh. Uh... We—I mean... I, uh, I'm lookin'... Um... tart stuff."

Yoongi was accustomed to Hoseok's horrible speech pattern, too. "Ah, well, you see our sour candy kind of spread about the whole store." The cashier slash custodian slash customer support explained. "But I'd be as jolly as a rancher to be your personal guide."

Hoseok began drumming his fingers against his thigh—a nervous habit—and inhaled deeply. He checked the time on his phone and nearly shit himself. He's running late. "Just find tart candy for me," he said curtly.

The sudden snap from Hoseok took Yoongi by surprise. Usually, he'd say something corny to try and ease the customer, but Hoseok has a tendency to scare Yoongi from time to time. Driven by intimidation, the employee snatched the nearest sour treat off its shelf and scanned the barcode. "That'll be—"

The customer slammed an orange 5000 won note on the counter, mumbled a quick 'thanks' and bolted out the door. He skidded to a halt when Yoongi's pun suddenly made sense. Hoseok poked his head in the door of WMC and called Yoongi's name. "Jolly 's a, uh, a rancher." Hoseok grinned. "Good one!"

Yoongi returned Hoseok's smile, and then he was gone. "What a strange fellow," Yoongi thought out loud before jotting down on a sticky note the exact change he owes Jung Hoseok.

Driven by panic, Hoseok threw the little bit of sense he had out the window and acted irrationally. He had only two minutes to get to Jimin's workplace before his break. There was no time to stop; not even for four lanes of moving traffic. Although the stunt he pulled caused a wreck, Hoseok made it across the street safe and sound. He made it and now he can give the candy to Jimin. That's the only thing that matters.

Down the sidewalk, through a dark alleyway and across the parking lot, Hoseok ran. He burst through the front doors of the pharmacy and made a beeline for the back of the building where the pharmacy counter was. "I... I'm here for... Park Jimin," Hoseok said between pants; hunched over with his hands on his knees. His heart was beating 90 to nothing and his lungs were killing him, but this is worth the pain.

The two pharmacists exchanged empathetic glances before one of them tended to Hoseok. "Jimin-ssi's skipping his break again," the young woman in red scrubs and a white lab coat said. Hoseok frowned at her words. Although he expected this to be the outcome, he couldn't help but feel disappointed that Jimin always skips his break. He always skips the one time he could spend time with Hoseok.

Hoseok clasped his hands together on the grey counter and began his pleas. "Can-can't I 'least, like, s-see Jimin? For juh-just a, uh, a minute? Please Noona! Please, s'been a year!"

"Jimin-ssi is a very busy man, Hoseok. You know that." The woman upheld her professional appearance despite being on the verge of tears. This situation always pulls on the pharmacists' heartstrings.

Hoseok grunted. "Fine. Tell Jimin-ah...he's gotta, uh, come home soon. Cause—cause I miss 'im...lots." He took the packet of sour gummy worms out of his back pocket and slid them across the countertop. "'S for my—my Jimini."

The pharmacist opened her mouth like she was going to say something, but decided against it. She didn't trust her voice anymore, so she settled on giving him an apologetic smile instead, which he did not return—as expected.

Hoseok stuffed his cold hands in his jeans pockets and watched his shoes as he sauntered back out into the busy streets and headed home where he can indulge in his only relief. He didn't want to think about Jimin anymore.

Park Jimin. 1995 –2015.

¤~¤~~¤~¤

Only when Wonhae Manhi Candy was officially closed for the day would Yoongi let his façade fall. After locking up, he let out a much-needed sigh before heading out into the night. He double-pressed the unlock button on his keys as he walked across the parking lot to his black SUV, which was parked furthest from the store. To keep his thoughts from wandering, he counted the number of steps it took for him to reach his car. Yoongi's feet automatically led him to the passenger side, and he opened the door out of habit.

That's when Min Yoongi's thoughts, the ones he desperately tries to avoid, slipped into consciousness. Jungkook isn't here to carpool with Yoongi anymore. Why? Yoongi doesn't want to think about it. He hates thinking about it. Lashing out, he slammed the door and scolded himself for doing this again. He made his way to the driver's side, slid into the cracked leather seat, stuck the keys into the ignition and started the engine.

"Every fucking time," he said while he put his seatbelt on. Min Yoongi's knuckles turned white around the steering wheel and he slammed his head back against the headrest. "Jungkook!" He yelled at the top of his lungs; repeating the boy's name until his throat was on fire.

It took him a few minutes to regain his composure, and when he did, he was a completely different person. "I'm fine," he said with a forced yet realistic smile. "Life is good." Then he jacked up the volume of the hip hop radio station—which kindly played that song that was stuck in his head—and raced home to the empty townhouse he just absolutely loves, because life is good, right? Definitely.

Jeon Jungkook. 1997-2016.