Chapter 5 - A tin soldier's life

A/N: Here we go, another chapter! This one, as I promised, is a little longer! I am looking forward to your comments... but it's going to be a stressfull weekend, I can't promise another chapter. Take care, guys and gurls! ^^

Step by step I enter the room. It has already been a little intimidating to walk along the endless hallway approaching the massive door at its end. I was completely alone, the blank white walls leading the way. Some part of my brain wants to make me believe that this is my last chance to turn around and run, but in fact there's just no choice. I can't refuse the life I chose what feels months ago but it can only be a few hours since I left the gathering.

So I startle as the winged door slides shut behind me. I blink at the finalty of my situation and even more I am surprised that I care about my situation at all.

I glance around the small room I now stand in. Since it is empty and cold I assume that it has some kind of defensive or protective purpose. The Alatis Army somehow seems to be elite. The members prevent the citizens of the ship from any chaos or riots or breaks of the Law or even external threats. But the soldiers also seem to be excluded from the normal social life - that doesn't bother me, actually it kind of pulls my attraction. My experience with society or other humans in general has not in particular been the best.

I feel like I am about to become part of a secret that I will never be able to escape from again, but that doesn't scare me away. I stand taller, waiting for anything to happen, for my new life to embrace me.

I look down at my hands - the black wings are spreading encouragingly over my hands. I gain confidence. They look so strong. They healed because of the nano robots. Otherwise they would still burn by now the hall out of you. I lift my head back up.

I bet I am scanned by now if I have any forbidden things with me. The scan must be negative, a door slides open that has been invisible before. I step through it without hesistation.

I enter another room. There is a hologram on the opposite wall, an artificial female face in Army uniform greets me.

"Welcome to the Alatis Army quarters, recruit. You have chosen the military career.
Please confirm your personal data: Finley, Rayen. Age 21. Female. No Law break recorded. No charge ongoing. Complete school education. Our scan has confirmed an athletic body shape and an exellent health. You are 176 cm tall."

I nod in confirmation.

"The Alatis Army is pleased to have a new applicant, therefore..."

Wait, applicant? What does that mean? I am supposed to do the drill and become a soldier... no application, just signing in!

"... a test of your abilities to prove if your personality, mental strength and physical shape are fulfilling the required characteristics of a future soldier."

Oh my God, what? I am not prepared at all! I am still exhausted from the beating and healing I just went through! I can't take it! Thinking of the torture I experienced only a few hours earlier my mood sinks and my heart turns cold.

"To your right you find a shelf. There is a technical suit and a holo-bracelet. Please put your backpack in the shelf and take the suit and bracelet with you to the right corner behind you. Change your suit into the Army supplied one and attach the holo-bracelet. Place your regular suit right next to the backpack in the shelf. Wait for further instruction."

Before I can wonder what is happening a shelf had appeared at the wall to my right. I didn't notice it before, but it also made no sound appearing. I place my backpack in the shelf as I am told and take the Army supplies. Don't panic now. If you panic, Rayen, you will fuck up. Keep calm. Quite unsure I approach the said corner, uncomfortable with the feeling of lacking privacy. But as soon as I attempt to get out of the suit, ingoring the feeling of being surveyed, two walls stick out of the floor without making a sound. They allow me some privacy, I guess. This room is crazy! I thought the Alatis is high tech, at least if you campare it to the technical facilities they had in the 21st century. But apparently that's all just regular bullsh*t. The Army has the real stuff.