Chapter 1: The Move

New girl, new town. This is how every movie ever made starts right? Well for me, this wasn't a movie, but a harsh reality that would soon change my life forever.
My family and I were moving from sunny California to the heart of New Jersey. My mom got a new teaching job and one day it was decided that we would just pick everything up and move. I am an only child, this comes in handy most of the time, but in this instance, it meant that I was alone. Everything was a blur until we got to our new home; the packing, the goodbyes, the airport, and driving past the semi eerie woods where it felt as if we are being watched as we drove past. Even though I had to leave all of my friends in California, I was excited to be able to start my life over where no one knew me. As we drove up to our new house, which seemed to be covered in an almost constant cover of fog, I noticed two boys tossing a football back-and-forth across the street. As we got closer I watch them stare intently at our black Mercedes, exchange a few words, then continue staring. From what I could tell, they were my age, and they were really cute. We quickly unpacked our car before the rain started. The boys had gone inside, but when I turned around to look back at their house, I saw one of the boys in the upstairs window, staring at me. Once he saw that I had spotted him he quickly turned away and shut the blinds.
"This is a weird place," I said to myself
After a few hours the rain had stopped and it was starting to get dark. My dog was dying to go outside so I told my parents that I would go take him for a short walk. I grabbed the leash and walked outside. It was quiet, with the occasional chirp of a cricket. I started walking down the damp road until I reached a fork. Both ways consisted of a thin walkway with one side guarded by trees and the other, houses. I decided to go right, opposite of my house. I had walked a couple hundred feet with my dog whimpering from the cold by my side before I had gotten officially creeped out by this alleyway. At the very end of the walkway I decided to turn around. I was stopped dead in my tracks with the terrifying outline of a person at the other end of the alleyway.