Nothing Good Lasts Forever

I lied across the little wooden bench, my head in Colton’s lap. The stars seemed to be shining even brighter tonight, and I sighed in pure bliss.

“Isn’t this the part where you tell me you named a star after me, certificate and everything?”

Colton’s body rumbled as he chuckled. “Man I thought I had covered everything. Twinkling lights, perfect night, amazing kisser…”

“Amazing?” I asked sarcastically.

He looked down at me with a smile. “If you need another reminde-“

Before he could finish his sentence I leaned forward and placed my lips against his. His mouth felt warm and tingly against my lips as I pulled back. “I need to get home.”

Colton opened his eyes and studied me for a second. I wish I could have stayed in the moment forever, but I knew my parents were already freaking out, and I needed to get home. He nodded his head and we both stood up, our hands entangled together. We didn’t talk as we walked out to his car and drove towards my house, but the silence was comfortable. I knew something was wrong once we pulled up to the house and a cop car was parked in the driveway. Flashes of the night Melody died flew through my head and I tried to catch my breath. I saw my mom and dad, along with Mark standing on the front porch talking to a cop in uniform.

Colton pulled over to the side of the road. “I can walk up with you if you want.”

I nodded my head and stepped out of the car. As soon as my mother saw me she started across the lawn in a fast walk. “Sutton thank God I was starting to get really worried,” she said as she pulled me into a hug.

My arms hung awkwardly at my sides. “You called the cops on me?” I finally managed to say.

She pulled away. “Well we didn’t know where you were and you weren’t answering the phone.”

No freaking way!

“That was the point.”

Mark and my dad were beside my mother now, both looking past me and at Colton who stood close enough that I could feel his breath on my neck.

“What’s he doing here?” Mark asked sourly.

I grabbed Colton’s hand and squeezed him for some reassurance. “He drove me home.”

My mom sighed, her face full of emotions. My dad on the other hand looked completely unreadable.

“What did he take you for a nice street race?” Mark bit out. 

“Actually no, we were at the mall babysitting my two little sisters. I’m Colton by the way,” he said holding out his hand towards my mother.

She looked at his hand bitterly. “Did you know that she snuck out to see you?”

I hadn’t told Colton about the dinner, or sneaking out. “I’m sorry I take full responsibility,” he said shortly after.

“No he doesn’t, and no he didn’t.”

“I think you should leave,” my mom said coldly.

My father still hadn’t said a word, and I wasn’t expecting him to. I was glad he hadn’t said anything. With mixed emotions, I turned around to face Colton. I didn’t want him to go, but I knew it would be better if he left. Not better for me but better for everyone else.

“See you tomorrow at school?” I asked.

He nodded before bending down to kiss my forehead. Then, Colton turned around and got into his car. Once he was down the street and out of sight, I turned back to face my parents and Mark.