Tell Me About Yourself

“Right now,” my voice came out squeaky and unsure, “but it’s already way too late, or should I say early!”

Colton chuckled. “That’s the point young grasshopper.”

Crossing my arms over my chest, I slumped down onto my cozy bed and shook my head. “Come on get dressed,” Colton pushed.

He walked over to my closet and pulled out an old red hoodie of mine. “You should just always wear red,” he said grabbing a pair of black leggings and throwing them over to me, along with the hoodie.

“Well what are you waiting for?”

“I can’t get dressed with you in here!”

Colton rolled his eyes but turned in the opposite direction. “Come on get dressed I’m not looking anymore.”

Snatching the clothes from where they landed on the ground, I walked into my bathroom and securely locked the door. Knowing Colton I couldn’t trust him. After slipping the sweatshirt over my head, and taking of my shorts and replacing them with the leggings, I walked out of the bathroom and went straight for my closet.

The first pair of shoes I found was my black converses, and I slipped them on before turning to face Colton. He motioned for the window but I shook my head and nodded towards the door.

“It’s easier through Melo—I mean the other room.”

Without waiting for a reply, I opened my door and stuck my head into the hallway. My parent’s light was off, and there was no sign of any movement. I motioned for Colton to move out into the hallway with me, and we crept towards Melody’s room.

I was almost past the bathroom when my parent’s door slowly creaked open. Not wasting a second, I pushed Colton into the bathroom and slipped inside.

“Sutton is that you?” my father called out, his steps echoing off the walls of the hallway.

I turned on the bathroom light and hissed at Colton to get behind the shower curtain. He dove into the tile covered bath as I turned to face the door “Yeah dad,” I finally answered.

My father appeared in the bathroom doorway and smiled down at me. “It’s good to see you,” he said pulling me into a tight hug.

I squeezed him back, holding my breath when I heard the slightest noise come from the shower curtain. My dad must not have noticed it because he pulled back and looked at me strangely.

“What are you doing up so late?”

“Just getting a drink of water,” I motioned down at the sink.

“But you have your own bathroom in your room,” he reminded me.

Oh shit, I didn’t think of that one. “Yeah, but I forgot I left my cup in here from earlier today.”

And old disgusting looking cup sat on the counter in the bathroom. My father looked at it once and shrugged his shoulders. “Well I’ll get back to bed, just wanted to say hi to you, love you kido.”

My father retreated to his room, and the second his door shut I heard Colton gasp for air. Pulling back the shower curtain, I gave him a strange look.

“I was holding my breath,” he told me, still gasping for air.

Chuckling, I shook my head. “Why the hell would you—“

“I’m a loud breather okay!” he said grumpily, getting out of the shower and standing up.

I laughed as he crossed his arms over his chest with a frown. After shutting off the light, we crept across the hallway and into Melody’s room. Everything except the furniture was packed up in boxes; even the walls were bare.