Chapter 13: Status Asthmaticus

Ethan's POV

"What's going on down here?"

Mia and Grayson ran down.

"Oh my god. Ethan. Aunt Nessa what are you doing? Why are you doing this? You said as long as I don't see him he'll be safe." Mia screamed.

"We're just looking out for you honey. We don't want your group to have to move closer to him for your own selfish reasons."

"How did y– you went through my messages." she argued as Grayson went over to help me up.

"You okay?" Grayson asked me. I nodded.

"You took this to a whole new level. I can't believe you would do this to me."

"It's okay. I'm okay." I assured her.

"But you're barely breathing." she pulled me in for a hug. "Gray, can you get him out of here? So he can breathe."

He nodded and helped me walk upstairs.

Mia's POV

"Why are you with him? You know what we do, yet you still choose to stay with him."

"Because I love him." Ethan looked back at me and continued walking.

"You're 17. What hell do you, of all people, know what love is?" she scowled at me.

"Because. I have never felt this way for anyone in my entire life. I have never wanted to hold on to someone and never let them go like I do with him. That may not exactly define love, but it's a genuine feeling for this kid I call my boyfriend." I paused, "I mean sure, it's really early to say I love him in this relationship, but I do. Why can't you guys just accept that?"

"Don't think that just because what she just said warmed my heart a little that I won't come back for you." she glared at me and walked back upstairs, followed by my grandpa.

Ethan's POV

"We still need to find out who did this to me." I said as we walked into her room.

Someone shut the door and locked it from the outside. We ran to the door to try to open it. Damn. Her family really wants to kill me.

"It's locked." Mia shouted. "When the hell did they change the doorknob? What the fuck?"

"Open the windows. We can sneak out from there." I suggested.

"Hurry. Go. And please be careful."

"Wait... you're not coming with us?"

"I can't. Just go okay? Be careful on your way down."

"Come on." Grayson said.

I kissed her and left.

Mia's POV

After the boys left, I felt lightheaded. There's something different about this wolfsbane that they just used. I don't know what it is. I felt myself hit the ground and I blacked out.

It seemed like hours before I woke up.

"Mia? Mia, sweetie. Are you okay?" my mother asked.

I rubbed my head, "what happened?"

"You passed out."

I suddenly remembered everything.

"You guys just tried to poison me. I could've died. What the hell?" I stood up. "I'm going to Brie's for a few days."

"No. You are not. As your mother, I say you are not, and can not, do this."

"Watch me." I said as I began to pack my bags. "You guys tried to kill someone I love. You tried to kill me. How am I supposed to live with the fact that my own family tried to murder me?" I argued, "I'll see you guys in a few days."

I grabbed my stuff and left the house. I didn't know exactly where Brie lived so I drove over to the twins' house. I was soaked in rain. I should've gotten an umbrella before leaving. Shit.

I saw a figure in the middle of the road. I stepped on the brakes and got out of the car.

"Are you okay?" I asked, assuming it was a human. "Brie? What happened? Are you okay?"

"D-do you have a sweater or s-s-something."

"Let's just go back to your house yeah?"

She nodded.

I told her to get in and drove her home. I turned off the ignition once we got into her driveway.

"Brie, what happened?"

"You'd have to believe me if I told you."

"I think I've seen it all. What happened?"

"I saw someone come out of the drains and grabbed my leg and that's when I screamed. Next thing I knew, something or someone triggered me and brought me outside and I ran. How long was I away?"

"A few days. Are you sure you don't want me to drive you to the hospital?"

"I want to see my parents first."

"Call me or something later okay?"

"Okay." she said and got out of the car.

Now I drove over to the twins' house. I could've stayed with Brie, I should've stayed with Brie but I didn't.

"Mia? What are you doing here?" Ethan looked confused.

He saw my bags in my hand. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed that he was going to let me stay with him... oh well.

"I uh... I had nowhere else to go. I can leave if you want." I turned around.

He grabbed my wrist, "No. Stay. It's fine."

"Are you sure? I can check into like a hotel or something."

"Come in. Now, tell me what happened."

"After you left, the wolfsbane they used, it was different. I don't even know if it actually was wolfsbane. Anyway. I passed out. I woke up and realized that they tried to kill me, too. Or at least I think that was their plan. It didn't occur to me to leave the same time you did. It might've been because I didn't think it was going to affect me. I got mad and left. Maybe I overreacted but I couldn't be there knowing that they tried to kill me."

He pulled me in for a hug and kissed my head. "I'm so sorry."

"Oh. Hey, Mia." Grayson looked at me, "is everything alright?"

"I'd rather not talk about it right now."