Chapter 3: Triggered

Mia's POV

"Hey." Grayson walked over.

I looked behind him, "where's Ethan?"

"He had to go. Since he has the car, mom wanted him to do something for her."

"I guess." I shrugged. Did I make him uncomfortable because I was dancing on him? But I mean... he seemed like he was enjoying it though...

Ethan's POV

I felt bad for leaving Mia like that. I should've listened to Grayson when he said to stay home. If I didn't go, this wouldn't have happened. What if she looks at me differently now? What if she thinks I'm a flake? I don't have her number so I can't text her and apologize.

Me: can you tell Mia I'm sorry I had to leave early?

Grayson: why didn't you just get her number

Me: listen.

Grayson: she said it's okay.

Me: what did you tell her...

Grayson: you had errands to run for mom because you had the car

the next morning

I woke up in the backyard. I'm not even sure how I got out here. I mean, it's not that cold out here so I'm not complaining.

"What the hell are you doing out here?" Cameron asked. "Shouldn't you be at school?"

"I wanted to look at the stars and I guess I fell asleep." I lied.

"I'm not buying it. But that's none of my business so..."

I got up and walked to the bathroom to get ready for the day. I drove to school and walked straight to class to see if Mia was there. Right when I sat down, she walked in.

"Hey." I greeted her.

"Morning."

"I'm sorry I had to leave early last night."

"It's okay." she nodded.

"Are you sure? Is there anyw–"

"It's fine. Your mom needed you, it's a legitimate reason. Unless you're lying of course."

"Why would I lie to you?" I chuckled nervously.

She shrugged, "you tell me."

"Hey. Can I have your number?" I asked.

"Give me your phone." she held out her hand.

She tapped in a few things and gave my phone back to me.

"There you go." she smiled.

"Now I won't have to talk to Grayson to get to you like last night."

"I thought I scared you off because I was..."

"No. It's fine. Don't worry." I wasn't gonna tell her I liked it and make this awkward. I mean, I did like it... but I wasn't gonna tell her.

"Hey, Mia. I know you're new here and all, but would you like to go out some time?" A kid named Cody asked.

"We can go to the football game tonight." she suggested.

"Sounds like a plan."

"So you and Cody." I teased her playfully, lowkey salty that she was going on that date because she was just grinding on me and now she's going on a date with Cody. I should've shoot my shot before he could ask her out. Damn it, Ethan.