Letter Ten (Edited)

Dearest Mark,

I am still getting over the shock of finding the box of memories as I write this to you. It is taking me forever because it is such a special procession and I didn't think to find it at all. Not now. But it all has to come out one day.

This letter is going to be quite short as I am dividing time between looking after Nigel and doing coursework which is driving me mad.

I can never do algebraic equations. Please tell me how to do them again? I keep forgetting and it is a real bother. Wait. You can't. Because you are not here.

Not here...

Why do I keep forgetting? I always do that. It doesn't make matters any easier.

I guess I am going to have to come up with some random answers all over again. You are such a whizz at maths and yet I am a real duffer. I have to admit, I am rather jealous of you. You seem to achieve the highest grades all of the time while I am all upset and tired and jealous because of this. Why tired you may ask? Well, I need a lot of strength and energy to complete coursework sometimes and you can speed through things like a racing car.

I haven't told you about the holiday which is coming up right? Well, we are going to the coastline of North Wales. I am rather excited as me and Nigel have never been there before. Mum and dad went many years ago for their honeymoon and they really enjoyed it. Mum of course is pregnant so we are going to have to take things easy for her so that she will feel more comfortable.

I made her sit down and tell me all about her honeymoon earlier. On the condition that whilst she was telling me all of her secrets, I had to rub her tummy, I couldn't say no. Since the moment that baby number three was announced, I fell in love. I want to be as close to my little sister as possible. Before and after birth.

So, I sat down and rubbed mum's tummy while she told me all about her honeymoon adventures in North Wales.

Mum told me all about the journey and first evening of the honeymoon which I had not really heard a lot about before. I certainly knew that Nigel wasn't going to be told a lot because of his age. I mean, I knew that mum wasn't going to tell me about all the lovey-dovey parts in case she really wanted to.

She told me about the restaurant that she and dad ate at and the fact that they go free drinks all evening! I never knew that mum drank alcohol but now, she strays well clear from it. Even the smell of wine can make her choke. I knew that dad sometimes had a small glass of something but that wasn't often.

When dad burst in on us, it surprised mum. She jumped up, out of shock. I had to laugh, it sounds mean but the look on her face was priceless.

When mum told dad about our talk, he seemed very surprise. To be honest, he didn't really think that it was my business to know about the honeymoon. But, I consider myself quite mature Mark. I wouldn't go round school and tell other students secrets about my parents now would I? I'm not that type of girl.

Our talk was disturbed yet again by Nigel yelling from his room. The yelling was unexpected and mum jumped again. Baby must have thought mum was a trampoline more than anything else! Dad raced upstairs leaving the two of us, (Should really say three of us) alone.

'Your father treated me to a number of presents. One example was this necklace.' continued mum as she showed me a beautiful silver necklace.

'I have seen you wear that a lot.' I said.

'It is my favourite. Of course I wear it a lot.' replied mum.

Don't get me wrong Mark but when mum mentions jewellery, I always smile. I've always had a real eye for gems and vintage, I honestly think that influence came from mum.

'Something is written on the back of it.' I pointed out.

'It reads I love you.' said mum.

'Oh, I see! A love charm!' I exclaimed.

How cute, I think I would like one too. Wink wink. Nudge nudge Mark.

'Quite close to one.' said mum.

Dad and Nigel reappear to join us, the family together. Mum and dad kiss while I give Nigel a big hug. He seems very surprised because that does not happen very often.

Both of my parents smiled at us. I think it was a nice thing for me to do.

'A kiss?' I asked Nigel.

He jumped up. 'Yuck! No!'

All of us laughed. Mum held out her arms.

'Come on everyone. Let's hug mum!' I announced.

All of us joined in a hug laughing.

I don't remember the last time all of us hugged and really enjoyed it. A while back, months back maybe. But it was a lovely feeling to spend some quality time with them.

So Mark, I have to go now. For the main reason which I mentioned earlier.

I love you.

Love, love and love,

Sara