My eyes dropped to the floor. The cabin was a mere distraction. I dug my fingers under a loose board, followed by several others, until I found the secret entrance to the basement. The cement door led to a room buried in the ground. I groaned as I lifted the heavy door backwards, my fingers having trouble keeping grip, until it finally opened wide. Panting heavily, I paused to catch my breath. Chains rattled, falling silent as they settled.

The darkness bore up at me, releasing the pungent smell of mold. I dropped my feet over the edge and fell into the basement. My fingertips traced the wall, running over the fresh claw marks, each one seeming deeper in the cement as I got closer to the open door above me. I bent over and swiped a rusted key off the floor. Frowning, I jumped and took hold of the edge, and pulled myself out to examine the dangling chain on the hidden door. Still intact, the lock had been clicked open. How was I able to escape for the third time? When I changed, a key and lock were useless to me. I wouldn't be able to pick up the key, let alone undo a lock. I was the only one inside the basement. No one was there to free me.

I grabbed the floorboards and pushed them down on the cement door, wanting to get out of this place as quickly as I could. But I took the time to interlock the boards properly. If the entrance were to be found, too many questions would raise.

I flung the cabin door open and took in a deep breath. If I didn't return soon, Uncle would question why I was late. As soon as the news of the missing girl reached him, he would blame it on me. The wild wolves of the forest wouldn't touch a human.

The snow crunched under my boots as I made my way back to the trail. I made sure I took a long route to be away from the girl. Snowflakes fluttered in scarce numbers, soon picking up as I continued walking. Aldreina was listening after all, it seemed.

I shoved my hands in my pockets, wondering what my excuse would be this time for my miraculous escape. Uncle was growing tired of me and the constant danger I kept putting us through when I changed, and with the last three changes, I was a definite thorn in his side.

The trail eventually widened and the trees spread out. Small houses peeked out from the woods, appearing more frequently as I walked further. Main Street was a small patch of road with several shops set up in neat rows. After the war had ended, four shops remained open; the rest of the shops owners packed up and left, heading for bigger cities or other countries. I ducked down an alley, taking a shortcut to the other side of the village. Every other day of the month I would have taken the long way, but today, I feared the blood I couldn't scrub out from under my fingernails and the imaginary red flecks on my face.

"Felken!"

My body tensed up at the sound of my name. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Regardless, I turned to face the old man who had called out to me.

A man in his fifties, he often tried to hide his balding head with hats. Tufts of grey hair peeked out on either side. He was short but burly; years of blacksmithing had kept him fit. His son had left for the war, but never returned.

"Where's your jacket, lad? You must be freezing." His thick arms crossed over his chest.

"Nein," I shrugged. "I find walks in this weather to be relaxing. The colder the better."

The man shook his head, chuckling. "Only you would find such a thing to be relaxing. Headed home, are you?"

"Ja," I nodded, tapping my foot. I didn't want to face Uncle, but I didn't want to linger in the village either.

"Might you tell your uncle that a few of us will be headed into the woods in an hour or two? Becker's daughter never came home."

My blood ran icy. I could feel the blood draining from my face and my heart doubling in speed. I tried to relax, but I couldn't.