The Ball

Once upon a time, there was a prince who was in search of a princess. This is not that story. Our prince didn't want to marry at all, rather his family wanted him to get married. In fact, his father, the King, proclaimed that none of the nobles in the land could marry until his son found true love. However, finding true love for the prince was much easier said than done.

"I don't understand why Devon has to marry before I'm even allowed to date!" The prince's sister, Lacey, whined to their mother on the way to the ball.

Twelve princesses waited inside the ball room, each eager to meet and maybe marry the prince. Oh, but he was a picky prince!

"It's tradition dear." Queen Aubrey said stopping outside the French doors leading from the terrace to the ball room. Two door guards stood at either side of the door looking ahead both too professional to make eye contact with the royal family. Soft music and laughter spilled onto the terrace. Vases with pink roses, baby's breath, and fuchsia carnations were meticulously arranged and placed around the outdoor space. Queen Aubrey hoped that the fragrant terrace would be the backdrop to her son's own Cinderella moment minus chasing after the girl with a shoe, of course.

"None of those women have a chance!" Princess Lacey said peeking in through the door. "Devon is just too picky."

"Of course, they have a chance. They are my last hope for a grandchild." Queen Aubrey quickly covered her mouth and gasped at her own faux pas, but it was too late, the words had escaped.

"I could give you a grandchild if I could snag a husband preferably before my eggs shrivel up and die." Lacey pleaded.

"Don't be so dramatic dear." The Queen admonished. "The ballroom is filled with the best Princesses in the thirteen Kingdoms, surely there will be one Devon finds suitable. Then your father will be satisfied that the tradition has been honored and he will lift his ban allowing you to marry. I say you keep your eye out for a knight because if everything goes right I might be planning two weddings." Queen Aubrey winked.

"I wish I had your faith." Lacey sighed looking down at her yellow ballgown. She might as well have been wearing a trash bag instead of the beautiful bejeweled gown, for if her brother didn't pick one of the girls to marry she wouldn't even get the chance to dance at the ball. "It is time for us to make our entrance." She cleared her throat and nodded at the door guard.

She waited until announced and then walked into the ballroom regally. Twinkly lights descended from the high ceilings. An orchestra played in a corner near a dance floor. Tables were on the other end of the room set meticulously for dinner. A few princesses mingled around the hors-d'oeuvres table. But as she entered the room the princesses stopped what they were doing to daintily clap as she took her place in the small throne chair on a dais overlooking the ballroom. She wanted to join the princesses at the hors-d'oeuvres table but since her family was hosting the ball she was expected to stay removed from the rest of the princesses. Instead, she had to watch everyone else have fun from her small chair next to her mother's.

Next, her mother strode in. Even though she just spoke to her, the older woman's appearance took Lacey's breath away. Her mother wore a long silver gown and was the epitome of style and grace. She wore her long hair in an intricate bun that helped support the crown that rested on her head.

Lacey's father was announced shortly after her mother took her seat. He looked dapper in a black tuxedo with a purple lapel. He kissed his daughter and wife on the cheeks before sitting in the largest of the four thrones.

Finally, Devon came in but instead of sitting with his family he headed for the princesses. An advisor with a parchment and quill stood nearby. "Let's get this over with." Devon said loudly.