Chapter 21

As we sat at the kitchen table listening to yet another angry tongue lashing Prince and I could feel the hunger rumbling in our stomachs. Whenever school lets out and if we felt like taking the ride uptown, Prince and I would round up the group and go over to the hottest burger joint in Minneapolis and pig out until the streetlights came on. Unfortunately that wasn't the case today. Prince and I were sitting in the office until the end of free period and were then dismissed from there at the end of the day. I didn't get a suspension but Prince on the other hand did. At least it's in school. If he had to miss a day of school Mrs. B would have probably put him to work with household chores until the sun went down. While my mom was going on and on about how disappointed she was in us for engaging in such behavior and how we need to learn to be model citizens for when we graduate and all that jazz my hunger decided to make itself known. The loud growl that came from my body got my mom's attention long enough to notice that me and Prince haven't had anything to eat since lunch.

  "I take it you guys wanna eat huh?" She shot at us with a death glare.

I know with how pissed off she was she probably wouldn't have cared if we stared just to teach us a lesson. However my mom's faithful Christian ways convinced her otherwise.

  "Mama we really are sorry. We didn't think that things would get that......violent." I said trying to calm my mom.

  "Pfft I did. Jack-off did it to himself! Ha! Jack-off! Did it himself!" Prince giggled at his own crude joke that he just decided to blurt out in front of my mother who was now getting even more angry for using that language at her dinner table.

  "Skipper!" I whispered as I kicked him in the shin under the table.

  "Ow! What!?!?!" He snapped as he leaned to rub the pain away.

I pointed at my mom's expression and he quickly understood what was going on.

  "So-sorry Mrs. Jenson." He said shyly as he sat back in his chair.

My mom stood on the other side of the table with her arms crossed as she stared at him.

  "You know my husband would be rolling in his grave right now if he heard what you said Skippy. Be glad I don't get my switch." She scolded.

  "Maaaaa! Stop!" I moaned in embarrassment.

  "Don't think you're too old for a switch on your behind little girl. I am still your mother." My mom shot at me as she craned her neck my way.

  "Yes ma'am." I said in that same shy tone Prince had a few moments ago.

  "I'm going over to see Desmond's family for an event at the hall. I'll be back by 9. Skippy I already talked to Andre's mom and she expects you home by the time the street lights come on and not a second later. Or I'll come and spank you myself."

  "MA!" I shouted.

  "Little girl!"

  "Sorry. I'm sorry." I replied changing tones.

  "Skippy? You hear me?" She asked.

  "Y-yes ma'am. Not a second later." He said to her.

  "Alright now. Help yourselves to whatever is in there. Regan make sure-"

  "I know. I know. That my homework and chores are done before you come home. I'm on it Ma. Promise."

She smiled at me and gave me a kiss before heading over to the door with her purse and car keys in hand.

  "Behave you two. She shouted before closing the door.

Finally this day was officially over.

  "Well you heard her. Let's eat! I'm fucking dying!" I said excited to finally get up from the table and get to the fridge.

Prince stood up and head d for the cabinets to find something for him to settle his stomach while I kept looking in containers of leftovers.

  "What's good Mouse?" He asked as he continued his search.

  "Nothing too appealing here. What about you?" I asked.

  "Nah. It's like a grave yard in here."

Prince closed the cabinets and turned to find me still looking.

  "Mouse come on there ain't shit in there! Whatcha looking for?"

  "My stale and molded love life. Ya seen it?"

I stood up and slammed the refrigerator door closed angry about what had happened.

  "Hey. You're love life ain't stale. It's just.....late!"

  "Gee thanks for the words of encouragement. Really fucking awesome."

  "Oh stop it you know I don't like you all upset. Just let it go. He wasn't worth it anyway. I told you he was a clown."

  "Is that your way of rubbing it in?"

  "Not at all! I want what's best for you that's all."

  "Now you sound like my mom."

  "Well at least we know she loves you right? I bet Mrs. B called my mom and told her what happened. My mom ain't gonna come down on me like yours or Andre's. She only gonna tell me that I'm throwing my life away fucking around with a guitar."

Prince sat back down at the table but not in his original seat. He sat facing the side door that led to my backyard and stared at his childhood home that lied just beyond the brown wooden fence.

  "I wish I had that." He sighed as he looked on.

My heart sunk watching the sadness grow on his face. He misses his family. He misses being at home. I sat down next to him and rubbed my hand down his back.

  "But Skipper.....you do have that." I said to him with a smile.

Prince looked at me with a confused look on his face. I sighed and shook my head still holding my smile.

  "You have Mrs. B and Andre. Then you have they guys Dez, Morris, and Tricky. Then my mom and then of course me! You have family even when you believe you don't."

His sadness was washed away by a huge smile. Prince took my hand and held it in his against the table.

  "What would I do without you?" He asked happily.

  "You'd wonder the earth aimlessly looking for answers to your most devastating questions." I giggled.

Prince belted out a laugh deep from his chest and threw his head back.

  "You're something else Mouse."

  "I know I'm amazing! Now can we please eat before I die of starvation? Your frail ass must be fading away by now." I joked

  "The way your jeans look you might wanna stop eating." He chided.

  "Smart ass."

  "But you love it."

  "Yeah yeah yeah you're all talk and no action."

I reached on top of the fridge and pulled down one of the pizza menus I had stashed for a day like today.

  "Pick your poison. Vinny's or die?" I asked waving the menu at him.

  "As long as it's an extra large I'll gladly take Vinny's." Prince giggled.

I ordered our pizza along with some mozzarella sticks and a dessert. We sat at the table and played a few round of Uno while we waited for the food. I liked spending time with Prince this way. As we played our game I noticed that his smile was different. It was attractive and captivating. I couldn't stop staring. His eyes caught my stare and his smile slowly faded.

  "Hey! Wake up it's your turn." He said as he looked at me.

  "Oh! Sorry!"

I threw out a draw two and pointed at the deck. She shook his head and there it was. That sweet captivating smile again. It was making me blush for some reason. I liked it.

  "Are you alright?" He asked still smiling at me.

  "Yeah! I'm fine! Play your hand nerd." I giggled.

I wonder if he knows he's making me feel weird in a good way.