Chapter 6

My two favorite classes of the day were always lunch and free period. Being that it was just the first day of school the lunch period was always cut by 15 minutes just so we could stay with the half day schedule. Usually on the first day nobody would really eat anything. It was just a time for everyone to catch up with friends they've haven't seen since last school year. Since my group was the only bunch I've known since I was practically a toddler and with Dez just coming to the group last year I didn't really have that much catching up with anybody. Me and Rachel had kept in touch all summer long over the phone and now that she knows about me and Wilson during free period there wasn't else more to talk about. The guys and I always sat at the same table everyday since freshman year. The last table in the back of the room on the left side by the window. Andre has this crazy theory that if someone wanted to come and blow up the school then we could jut get out through the windows and make a run for it. It was a smart move in a way but in a cold place like Minneapolis we all doubted that would happen. Skipper always sat on top of the table eating a small bag of chips and iced tea. Morris and Jerome were trying to pick up a few freshman girls who were still too young to know what sex even was. Dez and Andre played war and I would just sit and stare out the window. Most days we would have crazy conversations but on days like this everyone was in their own world. We were all ok with that for a time. I gazed out at the window thinking about what would happen between Wilson and I during free period. I had hoped that after last year I would have never showed my face in this place again. I probably would have just transferred to a boarding school for girls but then that would only make me look like a coward running away from my teenage problems. So I stayed. At least Prince and the guys are willing to defend my honor when needed. While I stared out the window at some kids making out on the courtyard lawn my mind began to picture them as me and Wilson. The soft touch of his hands on my body. The gentle kisses from his lips. That bright smile and his deep brown eyes gazing into mine. The two of us holding hands in love. I could feel my smile take over my face as I was deeper in thought when the sound of a deep voice that was all to familiar was bringing me back from my day dream.

  "Regan? Anyone home?"

Suddenly I was back to my normal position. Sitting up at the table and now looking in to Prince's face.

  "You checked out on me baby girl? You cool?" He asked with a big smile on his face.

  "Oh yeah! Yeah I'm cool. I was just-"

  "Thinking about getting knocked up by Wilson?" Morris asked as he raised his eyebrows.

Andre sucked his teeth and scrunched up his face.

  "Man you don't need that clown. He ain't a real man!" Andre snapped.

  "How would you know what a real man even is Dre?" I snapped back.

  "Come on mouse stop being so extra! I'm more of a man than that jive fool is and you know it!"

Prince shook his head.

  "Regan Dre does have a point." He said.

I turned to Prince sharply and scowled at him.

  "So you still think that he's trying to talk to me for his own personal gain huh?" I scolded.

  "Yeah I do. Wilson is a player and the whole school knows it! We're trying to warn ya kid. He's bad. News." Prince said with a sign.

I stood up from the table and grabbed my bad from the floor.

  "We'll see just how much of a player he really is during free period." I hissed walking away.

I could barely make it out into the hall when the sound of footsteps were racing toward me from behind.

  "Regan hold on!" Prince shouted as he ran up to me.

I turned to him angry that he was trying to make decisions on the guy I like for me.

  "What do you want Nelson?" I snapped.

  "Look I'm sorry ok? I just don't want the same thing that happened last year to happen again that's all."

  "What happened to letting it go Prince?"

  "I know! I know. I'm sorry! But it's just something about that guy that I don't like. I have a feeling he's just....."

  "Just what Skip?"

  "Not the one."

I rolled my eyes and turned away from him but he grabbed me by my shoulder and turned me back to face him.

  "I know you don't wanna hear it but I'm telling you I'm right! I can feel it!"

I sighed as I grabbed his hand.

  "Stop being my brother and please just be my friend. Please?"

  "Mouse I am being your friend and as your friend I'm asking you just to......be careful."

For some reason I couldn't stay mad at him. Instead I just smiled.

  "Skipper stop worrying so much. If he does do something crazy I know where to find you and you can beat his ass like you said. But for right now you don't have to stick up for me! I'm fine. All we're doing today is talking. It's not like it's a date so relax. Everything is cool."

  "Alright I'll let it go this time. For real."

He put his arms out for me to hug him and I did. This hug was a little different. Tighter even. Like he was really worried about me. When he let go his eyes were sad as if someone had just broken his heart.

  "What's wrong Skipper?" I asked him.

  "You're all grown up mouse." He said sadly.

  "Well were you expecting me to stay 11 forever?" I grinned.

  "Yeah I was! I can't keep fighting off your potential boyfriends. It's exhausting."

I laughed as he placed a hand on his forehead.

  "Well let's get back before somebody thinks we're up to something." I said taking him by the hand.

  "You mean like when we stuck pennies in the lockers jamming them last year?" Prince giggled.

  "That was your stupid idea! Stupid!"

No matter how old we got our friendship wouldn't change. At least that was what I thought until free period.