Chapter 18

It had been a long day since they had arrived back home with Zoey. Kate had denied requests for her statement on what happened until tomorrow and Gates was being more than accommodating, understanding the young girl had just been through a lot and needed both of her parents right now. "I'll fend off the animals at One PP, you focus on your little girl Kate".

"Thank you Sir", Kate hung up her phone and looked down at the now sleeping Zoey in her arms. They had curled up on the couch after Zoey got cleaned up and changed into more comfortable clothes, Kate doing the same. Rick had called to let Alexis, Martha, and Jim know that they were all home safe, Alexis opting to come over later in the evening. Rick said he really needed both daughters under one roof. He was currently sitting at the other end of the couch, flipping through channels. "Gate's is handling things for now", she said to her husband. He turned his attention to her, "Says I can have a few days til everything settles down. Make sure Zoey is ok", she looks down at her daughter, brushes a stray strand of hair from her face.

"That's good. She's going to need you", Rick says also starring down at his daughter.

"She needs you too Babe", Kate looked back up at him.

"I know", he smiles at her, "You know, when Alexis went missing, I thought we would never find her. I can't describe the agony I went through until she was home. I would never wish that on any parent. I'm so sorry this happened Kate, I should have done something more..."

"No Rick", she reached out her hand to his, "this wasn't your fault. It wasn't anyone's fault. There was no trace of Shorts until he took her. We had no way of knowing"

"But I'm her father now. I made a promise to her that I would keep her safe. That I would never let anything happen to her"

"And I didn't make the same promise?", she raised her voice just enough that Zoey stirred but did not wake up. Kate lowered her voice to a whisper before continuing, "Rick, even normal parents, parents who aren't cops or famous mystery writers, can't promise to never let anything happen to their kids. Every day our murder board is full of those broken promises. All we can do is try out best to teach them right from wrong and protect them as best we can."

"Since when did you get a BSM degree", he smiled

"A BSM?", she was a bit caught off guard but smiled anyway.

"Brilliant Sexy Mom Degree", he grinned.

"Shut up", she grinned shyly.

"No, you're right Kate. I can't promise her that nothing will ever happen to, but I can do my damndest to try".

There was a knock on the door, causing her to jump a little. "It's just the pizza, I'll get it", he said patting her foot.

Kate turned her attention back to her sleeping daughter. She didn't want to wake her but the girl really needed to eat. "Hey, wake up baby", she gently shook the girl. Zoey's eyes slowly opened, looking around til they set on Kate's. "Morning sleepyhead", Kate smiled.

"Hi Mom", Zoey stretched still trying to wake up.

Kate couldn't help the smile that spread on her face. When Zoey had called out to her, calling her mom, she had reacted on pure instinct. It hadn't sunk in til much later that Zoey had actually called her 'Mom'. Even now, it made Kate's stomach do flips, she had to hold back her tears of joy.

"Kate?", she was brought out of her thoughts to the girl questioning her, "Is, um, is it ok if I call you that? Mom I mean", the girl looked at her shyly.

"Ya, yes, of course it is! I'm sorry, I'm just still not used to you calling me that"

"But it's ok?", Zoey still didn't believe her.

"Honey, I love that you want to call me Mom, I absolutely love it", she gathered the girl back into a hug.

"Good", Zoey smiled.

"Dinner is served ladies", Castle announced from the kitchen.

"Come on", Kate helped Zoey up from the couch, "Dad ordered pizza while you were sleeping"

"Yes!", Zoey bolted for the dining room table. "Is Alexis coming home tonight?", she asked Rick, grabbing a piece of pizza from the box. Kate couldn't help but notice how, normal, the girl seemed. It was a little unsettling considering what all she had just been through.

"Uh, ya", Rick responded, he to a little taken aback by the girl's excitement, "She said she'd be here in...", he looked at his watch, "actually any minute"

"Cool", Zoey seemed content with his answer and went about eating her pizza.

Rick walked over to Kate, "Should we be worried?"

"I don't know. Everyone deals with things in their own way. We just need to be there for her when she needs us"

That Night...

"Mom?... Mom?"

"Hmm", Kate mumbled coming out of her sleep, "What?", she looked around trying to find the source of the disturbance.

"Mom", Zoey whispered again.

Kate's eyes finally settled on the girl, "Zoey? What's wrong?", she moved up the bed to where she was sitting up on her elbow.

"I can't sleep", she said quietly.

"Oh, um", Kate took a moment before continuing; "do you want to sleep in here tonight?". Zoey only nodded her head yes. Kate shifted to the middle of the bed and held the covers up for Zoey. "Climb in kiddo". Zoey wasted no time in crawling into the bed. She snuggled up to Kate, her back against Kate's front, and laid her head on the pillow. Kate laid back down, wrapping her arms around Zoey, and pulled her in tight. "Better", she whispered in the girl's ear.

"Ya. A lot better", Zoey's sleepy voice replied.

"Good. Night sweetheart, I love you"

"Love you too Mama"