Chapter 10

Kate arrived back at the loft early that night. It had been a slow day at the precinct; surprisingly no body drops and all the open cases had been closed or were in the process of being closed. She was really looking forward to getting into her comfy clothes and relaxing with her little make-shift family. When she opened the door she was met with the wonderful smell of dinner and the sight of Castle bustling around the kitchen.

"Well this is a nice surprise", he smiled at her as he walked around the island towards her.

"Slow day so I thought I'd come home early", she said and kissed him. "Where's Zoey?"

"Not home yet", he said nonchalantly as he went back to the kitchen.

"Um...where is she then?"

"She called and said that she was hanging out with some kids from school", he shrugged like it was nothing.

"Castle, she's a thirteen year old girl! You can't just let her go off and do whatever she wants!"

"Kate"

"Did you meet these 'friends'? Do we know anything about them? Are they even kids!"

"Kate", Castle started walking back towards her.

"And where is she even hanging out with these so called kids from school?", Castle pulled her in to his arms.

"Kate, calm down. Alexis is picking her up as we speak. Zoey said they were staying on campus. Something about playing soccer. What kind of a Dad do you think I am?"

He felt Kate relax in his arms before he let her go. He had expected Alexis and Zoey to be home before her so he didn't bother telling her that Zoey had after school plans. However, after that mini melt down he'd make a mental note to do so if this ever happened again.

Kate sighed and rubbed her hands up and down her face. "I'm sorry Rick. Of course you're a good dad, you're a great dad! I don't know why I'm freaking out"

"I get it Kate, you may not understand the feeling yet but I do"

"What, the constant worry that she might not be ok, constantly wondering what she's doing, wondering if she is in fact happy?"

"That's it"

"I don't like it"

"It's called being a parent, honey" Kate could only sigh and fall back into her husband's arms.

A little later on, the front door opened as the two girls walked in, both laughing. Kate was in the bedroom changing while Rick was finishing up dinner.

"Ah there are two of my favorite girls", Rick called from the kitchen.

"Hey dad, is Beckett home? I thought I saw her car parked out front", Alexis asked coming to sit at the bar.

"She is, in fact she should be coming back out here any minute. She wanted to change out of her work clothes before dinner"

"Kate's home early?", Zoey asked with a bit of excitement in her voice.

"Mhmm, oh, and Zoey, I suggest next time you decide to stay after school or deviate from the norm in any capacity you let Kate know too, not just me"

"What? Why what happened?", Zoey asked, the excitement melting away into worry.

"Nothing, Kate's just getting used to having someone else to worry about"

"I don't want her to worry about me"

"She's going to worry about you the rest of your life kiddo, she's your moth-, your um,", Rick was stumbling on what to call Kate in reference to Zoey. "She's very protective of the people she cares for"