- CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE -

Around the shattered Tartarus, the death black mountains were silent and still. In the devastated catacombs, the heavenly trespassers stared at Ariel floating before them.

"Why haven't you made a decision?" Michael asked Ariel.

"I do not believe you caused this. I do, however, suspect you can lead me to the perpetrators of this crime. I choose not to drag you all to the Silver City because it is the first thing my Archangel would do."

"Having a little disagreement with Uriel are we?" Gunny asked the Angel.

"One might say," The diplomatic Ariel replied. "What else do you plan to accomplish here?"

"We were going leave this poltergeist here." Susan said, holding up the crystal orb containing Mr. Johnson. "We wanted to get some binding spheres, but it doesn't look like anything's left."

"Leave the phantom here. We should all be leaving this place now." Ariel said, his eyes sparkling with golden light.

"Made a decision have you?" Gunny said, his voice echoing from a new shadowed corner. "It would be a mistake to try taking us to your choir, Malakahim. I don't want to hurt you."

Ariel's eyes swept to a far flung corner, his arm came up and let fly a dagger of fire from his fingers in a bolt of honeyed light. It seared across the hallway. Burying itself in one of the shattered shelves, it made a shadow jump out from the wall. It jumped away so quickly it still retained the chameleon image of broken shelving and cave wall.

"Woah!" Gunny yelped before he disappeared into the background and focused on hiding again. The fires of the blade died out and puffed into smoke, leaving only a scorch mark against the shelf.

"I'm not arresting you," Ariel said. "I suggest we move to another locale if you want to talk. I suspect we're being watched."

"That's okay, I know who's watching us." Michael said. "Its Whistlow, he's the shade of," About to say Raziel's name, Michael caught himself. "A friend. He's looking out for me."

"I know whose," Susan said with a coy smile.

Michael knew she thought he meant Azrael. They knew how he felt, obviously. That was fine, Michael didn't want to let Ariel know anything more than necessary. He couldn't compromise Raziel.

"A Shade you say?" Ariel asked. "You must have a very capable friend."

The Angel's eyes were calm, friendly even, but Michael suspected they were perceptive, critical eyes. Yes, Michael recognized that. This Angel would analyze every action. Best to dispense with some of that examining now, he thought and said "Whistlow? If you have anything to tell me, now would be an excellent time."

Angel, Watcher and neos alike waited for something to appear. "It's not too bright out here is it?" An uncertain Michael asked.

"sssssSSSSSssssss" A quiet hiss replied as Whistlow grew out of the shadows under a shattered bank of shelves.

"Everyone, this is Whistlow."

Susan held up her hand, "Hello."

"Hhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiii," Whistlow hissed back.

Michael watched Ariel examine Whistlow, trying to discern any recognizable feature or trait in the smoky figure. "Can we talk now?" Michael asked Ariel.