- CHAPTER FIFTY TWO -

Start from the beginning

"Sounds easy," Asmodeus observed. "Far too easy."

"Azazel? Can you do what I just described?" The Shade asked.

"To catch her?" The Fallen Watcher asked. His face was serious, not the usual mocking grin. "Without using the soul for leverage, I'd say doubtful. If we grab him first, Azrael may fold."

"You'll have a few new decorations for your dungeon afterwards." The Shade said.

"I can do it," Azazel said.

The Shade's eyes flash with delight. "How are your current tenants?"

"Busy." Azazel yawned, "Haroth and Maroth are making them feel quite uncomfortable. Ozah is being a stubborn bastard. Filleting his children and ravaging his wife hasn't taken him to where I had hoped. He'll break though."

"I hope so." The Shade said.

"I never fail in that department. Speaking of which, I should really be getting back. The Ozah family will have a hiatus while we take care of your business." Azazel said and rose from his chair. He looked across the coffee table at Asmodeus and asked the reclined Daemonlord, "If that's alright with you, of course?"

Disgusted with Azazel, Asmodeus waved his hand in dismissal. He knew the Watcher was playing him for something. When he figured it out, Asmodeus swore he'd crunch the spindly Azazel like the rat faced vermin he was. He would do the same with Shade when the moment was right. Until then, Asmodeus would continue to play along.

"I could always use a little more help." Azazel told the Shade.

"Decimus and Dagan have other matters to attend to. Should you run into any trouble, they'll assist you in whatever capacity you require." Shade replied.

"If I need reinforcements?" Azazel chortled, "The Roman and the brat aren't going to be of any help to me."

"Don't underestimate Dagan. If you require reinforcements, you haven't done the thing right. Besides which, until they are bound, I don't want Michael and Azrael to see how I have taken everything from them. Just for me, I'd like to keep Dagan's role in all of this secret."

"Whatever you say," Azrael said and vanished from the sitting room.

The Shade looked Asmodeus over as it drifted from the windows. "You don't seem too thrilled. Normally you'd be bellowing with laughter at the thought of daemons rampaging unchecked through the Heavens. I deliver the first taste of Hell on Earth and you're glum. You're not jealous, are you?"

Asmodeus said. "You have your chaos, you'll have your talismans and you'll have your great battle. After that, you haven't told me what it is you want. Would you care to enlighten me about those plans?"

"No." The Shade replied and disappeared.

The meeting with the Shade had left Asmodeus unsettled. After the shadow departed, Asmodeus sent for Dumah. When the former Angel of Silence arrived he found Asmodeus pacing by the lounge's long, tinted windows. Dumah poured himself a large scotch with eyecubes from the bar before sitting down. Listening quietly while Asmodeus ranted, raved and schemed, Dumah tinkled the eyecubes together and nodded.

"If Shade thinks he's gonna get Heaven, the world AND then tell us what to do? That smoggy purple malakite asshead is going to be surprised." Asmodeus' said and his rumblings swayed the building.

Dumah held a hand over his glass as the scotch sloshed about. The eyecube's jangle was harsh against the crystal, but Dumah remained unfazed by Asmodeus' outburst.

"There's more to Shade and his little toy Azazel. I'm pretty certain it was Shade who sent Haroth and Maroth to me in the first place. They're all in this together. Never trust Watchers. You know this as well as I, Dumah."

The former Angel of Silence nodded in reply. Tinkle. Tinkle-Tinkle.

Pointing to the Lord of Gehenna, Asmodeus continued, "Go and make sure this all works out for us. I don't want a double cross."

Tinkle.

"Hmm." Dumah said.

Asmodeus waited.

Tinkle.

"What is Azazel doing, exactly?" Dumah asked. His grey eyes were frosty.

"He's going to get Azrael at Shade's behest."

"What do you want me to do?"

Tinkle-Tinkle-Tinkle.

"Keep an eye on Azazel and watch out for any tricks"

Tinkle.

"That's all?"

"For now. If necessary, act to protect our interests. Otherwise, I wait while you watch. When chance shows itself we'll stab them in the back and hang them in a dungeon of your choosing." Asmodeus smirked and continued, "Not only are Azazel and his little twins supposed to get Azrael, they're taking your dear friend Michael too."

Tinkle.

The silence in the lounge was long and cold. Slowly, softly, Dumah said. "My price is the soul Michael, untainted, when you are done with him."

After Asmodeus nodded in agreement, Dumah drained the rest of his glass. Crunching the eyecubes in his mouth he stood and walked out of the lounge.