Ch. 1

The city of Fathom was home to 844,941 people. It was over a hundred years old and expanding westward with gated communities of large homes with no backyards. Many of the downtown hotels—having seen the flash and glamor of the Roaring 20s leave them behind—had become cheap apartment complexes, the living spaces made of two combined hotel rooms. Fiona Soto had decorated her small apartment with varying hues of purple, gray, black, and white.

"Is that your real name?" Sean asked. He frowned at the coffee she'd just served them.

She sat down opposite them, gathering her hair and twisting it just to rest it on her neck. "So you're telling me absolutely no police officers believe someone torched your house?"

"Trailer, and... they do believe someone did it, but it's... it's like they don't care." Sean suddenly felt childish telling this to an actual adult.

"If leads don't turn up after 48 hours or so, the case is no longer a priority and remains open for a while." Fiona sipped her coffee. "Even before it closes, you're expected to move on."

"But it was our house!"

"I know." She glanced at the clock over her broken stove. "I can't call anyone until morning. Leave your number and you should hear from me in the morning."

"We have school," said Basil.

"Right—children. Afternoon, then. I'll let you know what's been dug up."

Sean was no longer impressed, insulted being called a child. "Can't you just give me their number and I call them?"

She met his eyes and held them. "We don't give out our numbers to anyone. You want the help? Take it as it is."

He was a little startled by the woman's change from indifference to completely cold. Through Basil's vague description, this person was immediately different to Sean. And who was this 'our'?

"Ease up, Fiona," said Basil.

She never liked children. "Just go home before your parents find out you're gone. I'll do what I can."

As she walked them to the door, she stopped Sean. "Were you really going to jump into the Kenot? At this time of night?"

He shrugged. "Yeah. I mean, if he sunk a gas can, I don't think he would've, like, gone that far. Besides, evidence is evidence."

Fiona nodded, glancing at Basil. "Be safe, you guys."

She watched the boys cross the street. Basil led the way, knowing these streets as if he'd been there when they were first paved. He was wise beyond his years, so he was just about the only young person Fiona felt comfortable interacting with. Even if he kept bringing kids to her for help. At least this was a serious case.

Fiona turned the lights off in her living room and went to the bedroom. On her desk was a list titled 'Candice's List' followed by Monday's date. Fiona crossed off the fifth item:

'4. Woman kidnapped. Lightning.

5. Boy drowns in lake. Fire

6. Kid dies in high school. Night.'

*-*-*-*-*

[Tuesday – Morning]

Police sirens woke Iam Falco most mornings. His housemates had sold him the idea of moving into the small and worn house with the claim that there was no safer place than near a police station. They'd yet to experience a break-in.