Chapter 1

Here is the first chapter to my sickfic of the adorable Newt Scamander. Enjoy!

Newt sat down at his desk to add the final touches to his manuscript. With one last ding of the typewriter, his work was finally finished and ready to be published. He leaned back in his chair, smiling to himself at the thought that his book was going to be seen by wizards and witches all over the world in the near future, bringing positive thoughts to the harmless creatures and beasts he took care of on a daily basis.

His happy thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a splitting pain shooting through his skull. He rubbed at his temples to try and ease it, but it was to no avail. This headache had been lingering on him for a few days now and no remedy he took would help it decease. Getting up from his chair, he gathered up the pages of his manuscript and tucked them neatly away into a folder. With a hand gripping his forehead, he kicked off his shoes and gingerly laid down on his small cot on the opposite side of the room, trying not to increase the throbbing pain in his head. Newt considered taking a small nap, being that he had nothing else to tend to. The creatures had all been fed and cared for and his writing was (finally) all finished and ready to be taken to publication. He wasn't hungry, but truth be told, he hadn't had much of an appetite over the last few days and nights anyway, so he turned out the lights with a flick of his wand and pulled the covers over him for a good night's sleep.

***

With a start, Newt sat bolt upright on his bed and cried out, sweat gathering on his forehead as he breathed heavily. He looked around frantically as the nightmare faded away to nothing and he sighed, wiping away a drop of sweat from his cheek.

He swung his legs over the bedside and went to stand but as soon as he was upright, he had to grip the wall in order to stay balanced as a wave of dizziness overcame him.

"Merlin's beard," he cursed as the black dots fluttering his vision took a moment too long to disappear. Newt sighed, releasing his grip on the wall and walked over to the stove to conjure up a steaming mug of tea. As he took a sip, the warm liquid felt nice, but it did little to quell the pounding headache that was now being accompanied by a dull ache in his stomach. He groaned, there was no time to be ill at the moment. If he were to be bedridden, there would be no one to care for the creatures, and that was absolutely not going to happen.

Pushing aside the pain in his head, he decided to get on with the day. He fixed up his hair and clothes and started his morning rounds of feeding everyone. Throughout the day, he'd managed to ignore his slight illness, and spend time with his creatures, his family, playing with them and such.

At about two o'clock, he remembered he was supposed to bring in his manuscript in to get finalized and then he was going to travel to New York City once again to visit Tina, as well as bring her the first copy of his book. He grabbed his folder full of pages, and apparated to the publishing building. After everything was said and done, he packed away the first copy and made his way to the harbor to catch the boat ride to America. His stomachache had steadily increased throughout his travels and this boat ride probably wasn't going to help any.