Chapter 5 - The Key

Start from the beginning

 I nodded. "Her memories are still in there somewhere, they have to be. We just need to find a way to open the gate and release them all."

 We arrived at the police station a few minutes later. We parked in front of Derek's Camaro and he walked over to Stiles' side of the jeep. I was glad he hadn't come to my window. It would have been a struggle not to let the full moon punch him in the face using my fist.

 I agreed to stay out here while Derek distracted the deputy at the front desk and Stiles snagged the keys from his father's office. I waited patiently for any kind of signal while the two were inside. Only a couple of minutes passed before I heard the fire alarm go off.

 Without hesitating I sprinted out of the jeep and inside. I followed the sounds of the chaos around a corner and towards the back. When I arrived I saw a deputy laying unconscious on the ground with Isaac in front of him. Derek had stomped on a needle full of what I assumed was wolfsbane. Stiles had pushed himself against a wall and Isaac was now nearing him. I stepped in front of Stiles and Derek let out a loud howl. I fell to my knees at the sound and Isaac huddled into the corner. Between the ringing of the alarms and the pull of Derek's howl, I thought my brain was going to explode.

 "How'd you do that?" Stiles asked Derek.

 "I'm the Alpha," said Derek. 

 Finally recovering from the howl, I shot a glare at Derek and knelt down next to Stiles. He cocked his eyebrows. I glanced over at Isaac to see him back in his human form. He was covered in sweat and trembling with fear.

 My mind drifted to when Laura had to do the same thing to me on my first full moon. I had escaped the chains they used on me and was about to attack an innocent couple on the street when Laura found me and brought me back with her howl. I wondered if that was why Derek knew to do it with Isaac.

 Derek picked him up by the collar of his shirt. I wasn't going to let him get away that easy. He needs to live up to his actions.

 "Stay here," I ordered Stiles.

 I followed Derek and Isaac as they darted out of the building. They drove away in the Camaro before I could get in, but I had enough strength and speed to follow on foot. I sprinted on all fours next to the black car, keeping myself hidden not only from them, but from passersby as well.

 They finally pulled into an abandoned train station and I approached the car with fury as they stepped out. "Are you out of your damn mind?"

 "He wanted the bite, Eric. Just like you did." Derek said, his voice steady.

 "You think I don't know that you approached him? How else would he have known?"

 Derek scoffed and folded his arms across his chest. "He had his reasons for wanting the bite. He wanted to be able to defend himself. Why'd you take the bite? Huh?"

 I clenched my jaw and balled up my hands into fists. I wanted nothing more than to beat the hell out of him right now, but I had to control myself. I looked over at Isaac. He was hanging his head and focusing on the ground.

 Derek knows why I took the bite, and he knows that it was purely because I was being selfish. After Mom and Zoe died I needed an escape. I figured that becoming a werewolf would fix everything, that all the pain would go away. It didn't.

 "Besides," said Derek, wearing an unsettling smirk. "He's doing me a little favor."

 "Favor?" I asked.

 "Why don't you tell him yourself, Isaac?" 

 Isaac looked up at me, a terrified expression still etched on his face. I raised my eyebrows at him, pushing him to come out with it. He looked hesitant to tell me exactly what he's doing for Derek in order to earn the bite.