Chapter 19: We Shall See

Start from the beginning

"Maybe there's a reason you came here. Jaxon, do you think-"

"It's a real possibility," Jaxon said, reading Aleksander's mind.

"What are you two talking about," I growled.

They hesitated. Though I couldn't see them in the dark, I had a feeling they were having one of those silent conversations. Maddox and Aleksander would have those all the time. Aleksander would think something and Maddox would respond through his emotions. I never quite understood how Aleksander could figure out exactly what Maddox meant since he was only reading his emotions but it seemed to work for them. The weirdest part though, was when they would nod at the end and then pretend as if nothing ever happened.

"It turns out that your boyfriend is not just a pretty face. He was thinking your subconscious could be taking you here because this might be where the Dark Ones are."

I sighed and muttered, "Knew that already."

"You knew," Aleksander's tone was accusing, "How did you know? Why didn't you kill them?"

"I didn't know for sure, at the time but it makes sense now. When I was here last, I had ran into Roberto. He seemed keen on keeping me from traveling into the dungeons," I said, "Plus I'm not going to blow up a whole room full of people."

Anger rolled off of Aleksander and Jaxon in waves. They were furious at me and feeling slightly betrayed. Never in my life has I felt such anger from them. Jaxon was the first to crack. A slew of curse words and unintelligible noises came from his mouth as he punched the tunnel wall.

"You bitch!" He screamed, "You selfish bitch! I get it you don't want to hurt anyone else, Alix and Aleksander have filled me in on that but this is your one fucking chance to fix everything that's happened and you're throwing it away."

His words sliced through my heart. I coiled back in fear as he continued ranting. Tears welled in my eyes but they refused to spill. Aleksander said nothing, he just stood off to the side, letting Jaxon demean me. I wanted to do something but what was there for me to do? He was right. It was selfish of me to not step up and do what was right but I just couldn't. I couldn't kill another person. Every life I took brought me closer to my mother and that was the last thing I wanted.

"Caddie," Aleksander cooed. He wrapped his arms around my waist and rocked me gently.

"I don't want to kill anymore people," I cried into his bicep. "I want the little demon voice to go away, I want to stop seeing their pale faces and lifeless eyes."

Rubbing my shoulders, Aleksander pecked my cheeks while giving both Jaxon and me large doses of peace and serenity. I slumped in his embrace, my mind felt practically numb from the effects of his magic. I could feel Jaxon's emotions change drastically. Hearing my pathetic sniffles, he walked over to Aleksander and I and put a hand on my knee. I couldn't see him him but I could feel him. I could feel his pain and regret.

"If you stop them Caddie," he said in a softer voice, "All those people that you had to kill in the twenty-first century would be alive. All those Dark Ones won't even exist, they'll get a chance at a real life. Aleksander will get his brother back and your friend, Cam, he wouldn't have died in that tunnel."

Memories of both Cam and Dmitri dying assaulted my mind as I clung to Aleksander.

A horrified gasp escaped from my lips as I stared at the humongous burn on his chest. I could only see parts of it through his ripped t-shirt but I knew it was going to be fatal. All layers of the skin were completely destroyed. His once smooth tanned skin had become leathery and blackened. It literally looked as if his body been left on a grill for too long.