The newest member of the Johnsons household.

Start from the beginning

"You've got no fucking respect, I am your father! You will show me some respect!" He shouted towards me from the living room.

Harley's bright blue eyes slowly opened and he began to twitch as he stretched himself. Thanks a lot dad you woke him up.

"morning baby" I cooed as he was about to cry. I began to strip him down and get him dressed. Once he was done I set him down on the floor and handed him his water bottle and set off to my room to get dressed for college.

I was in the middle of braiding my hair when I heard the sound of glass shattering. Oh no.

"Scarlett" My dad screeched. I cringed and left my room.

I walked in the living room to see my dad with a joint in his hand seething with rage at Harley who has smashed the bottle of my fathers whiskey.

"This is all your fault you little bitch" He shouted as he came closer to me.

"I-i'll take him to my room while I finish up" I suggested.

Harley began to cry from my father shouting and I felt my body tensing up, when my father was high he'd never see reason and hated everything and everyone.

He lifted his hand and smacked the side of my face, once again his ring caught my eye and it began to water. I felt a lump rise in my throat. Don't try Scarlett, don't let him see you cry.

I stood shocked, not my face again.

"Get yourself and that thing out of my house" he shouted. Spit was smeared across my face as he seethed in anger, I cringed from his behaviour.

"Of course" I whispered softly as I picked a Hysteric Harley up and walked out of the room.

I took a look in the mirror my eye was blood shot red and a purple shading began to form around my eye. I groaned please don't bruise please don't bruise I chanted in my mind. People were already beginning to think I was being abused at home and the school even has me visiting the councillor twice a week. I sighed. Harley was happily sat on my single bed babbling to himself while playing with my pillow.

I opened my draw and pulled out a pair of black leggins and a long white top and paired it with dolly (flats)  shoes. I sighed knowing I wore this outfit on Friday, you probably think I'm embarrassed about not having a lot of outfits but in all honesty I was used to it. I was used to people thinking I was a tramp and a 'Whore' as some people branded me.

Once I was dressed I walked into the bathroom and washed my face hopeful that it would reduce the swelling but luck wasn't on my side. I quickly picked up Harley and my beat up brick of a phone and headed to college, my bag and books as well as homework in tact.

I left the house and walked next door hopeful that Rebecca would be in, other wise I'd have no where to take Harley. My other neighbour used to help me out but once she caught sight of my father she refused to help anymore because she couldn't understand why I wouldn't leave him. It wasn't that I couldn't it's just I don't want to. I know my dad hits me and calls me but he's my father besides it's my fault my mother left him, I owe it to stay with him. Harleys mother is completely oblivious to what goes on, she never really sees father, he's always out all day and night screwing whoever he could to steal money from them to buy more drugs and alcohol. Usually he comes home in the morning with some groceries from when he's himself again, his normal self is usually caring but obviously he doesn't stay his usual self. So whenever Charlotte (Harleys) mum arrives he's never around. She just thinks I get bullied.

I knocked on Rebecca's door and was greeted with a scowl as she looked at my face.

"I'm going to kill that bastard." She cursed.

"I'm fine. But I need a favour." I said with urgency.

"I'll have Harley" she sighed.

I could hear the resentment in her voice as she agreed to take care of him but I was desperate.

"Thank you" I sighed as i hugged her.

I gave Harley a kiss as she took him from me.

"Bye" I said as I walked away from the pair of them and made my way to college.

—-

"Scarlett mayer! Your 20 minutes lat- good lord what happened to your face." My teacher Mrs Deakins asked me with worry stretched across her face.

"nothing" I muttered as I walked to my seat at the back of the class room.

"Make way people, stinkys coming" One of the bitches shouted.

I clenched my fist but stayed calm.

"Erw, she wore that the other day" another voice said.

"and the day before. Looks like someones had a rough night look at the bruise on her face" Again another voice i recognised as Mollie said.

Tears sprang to my eyes but I just remained seated and blocked the world out.

—-

I opened my eyes and looked around the unfamiliar room.

I rubbed my eyes and thought back to yesterday, I got a call at lunch and was told that Harley had a rash on his stomach and his breathing was deep and slow. Rebecca rushed him to hospital.  Without any permission from the school I left and met her at the hospital. The doctor told me he'd had a reaction to the alcohol that he'd smashed. I didn't even check to see if he had gotten any of it on himself. It's all my fault. I'm such a horrible sister. I remember being told I could stay with him over night while they kept him in for more tests.

I sat up and looked around the white room, my eyes landed on Harley in a small bed with a little dinosaur blanket thrown over his peteite body.

I threw the blanket off my body and walked over to Harley, he was fast asleep so peaceful and angelic, I watched his chest rise and deflate at the beat of the monitor. I sat in the chair beside his bed for a good twenty minutes before doctor Wild came into the room.

"Scarlett" she said gaining my attention, as well as addressing me. She gave me a warm smile which made me feel a little better.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked her with worry.

"Harley's going to be just fine but his mother aswell as social services have arrived." she told me nervously.

My heart stopped. Social services? What are they doing here?

"They're waiting in the family room. They need to talk to you." She told me once again as she guided me out of the room.

I turned to look back at Harley who was still alseep.

"I love you" I whipered as I was pulled out of his room and was lead down the hall way.