03; REAL LIFE

As Emerson walked down the crowded street, the conversation with her boyfriend ran through her head. The normally bright and cheery redhead couldn't be more down.

Emerson shivered as her hand touched the cold metal of the door handle. She swung it open, and walked into the small coffee house. Without even hesitating or looking, she walked straight to the corner booth. Jordan and Tyler were already there.

Jordan caught himself smiling as his eyes landed on his redheaded friend. He knew he had feelings for her, but she was taken. Jordan was easily jealous, but never did anything to intervene with Emerson's relationship.

"Hey, boys." Emerson sighed, sliding into the booth next to Jordan.

"Well, you don't have to be here." Tyler joked, rolling his eyes.

"No, it's not that," Emerson started. She sat her elbow on the table, and placed her head in her hand. Slowly, she had made eye contact with Tyler. She shook her head slightly, "Hunter and I got into again. It'll be over in a day."

Jordan bit the inside of his cheek, glancing at Emerson from the corner of his eye. He knew this wouldn't be over. Jordan knew the behavior of Hunter Ross.

"Emmy, you can't going on like this." Tyler stated softly.

Emerson shrugged, "Let's not talk about it. About that cover?"

Jordan looked down to his coat pocket, and pulled out a crinkled piece of notebook paper. He smoothed it out and laid it flat on the table.

Emmy's fingertips grazed the paper, then pulled it towards her. Her eyes scanned over the paper.

"This is what we've come up with last night," Jordan stated. Emmy nodded, continuing to read the list.

Only two or three had stood out to Emerson. A couple that she loved.

Heathens by Twenty One Pilots.
You and I by One Direction.
Amnesia by Five Seconds of Summer.

Emerson looked up, glancing at Tyler then to Jordan. Without missing a beat, Emmy had pointed to one. Jordan looked down at the paper, peeking over Emerson's shoulder.

Jordan had looked up Tyler and nodded. "She wants Amnesia."

Emerson had no idea why, but it had stuck out at her. Conscious decision? She truly didn't know, nor understood.

Tyler nodded in agreement, a smile forming on his lips, "Okay. Tomorrow we can start learning some of the chords and lyrics. Sound good, Emmy?"

Emerson nodded along, "Of course."

She looked down at her phone that was sitting her lap as it vibrated. She swallowed, reading the text Hunter had sent. Emerson knew he was angry by the context of the text.

"Everything okay?" Tyler asked.

"Y-Yeah. Hunter just wants to see me. I'll talk to you boys tomorrow." Emerson stated shakily.

Jordan nodded sadly, and leaned over, pecking her cheek. Something he had done since the seventh grade; Emerson never minded.

"Bye, Emmy. Text us later." Jordan whispered.

"Yeah." She muttered, quickly getting up and scurrying out of the building.

Tyler sighed and looked up to his brother. He quickly rose an eyebrow, folding his hands together.

"Is it just me, but did she seem scared?" Tyler whispered.

Jordan sighed and nodded, "Yeah. I don't think Hunter's being the man he was a couple years ago. They've been fighting more, and she's always being down."

"We'll have to ask Amy if she's noticed the same thing." Tyler murmured.

~*~*~

Emerson let out a short breath as she pressed herself against the door as she shut it. Hunter's apartment looked the same.

Plain and boring. Shelves littered with endless awards in the family's name. Endless pictures with Hunter and other huge people.

"Hunter, baby. You here?" Emerson caught herself asking.

Hunter was talking into his phone as he walked in the front area. His smile was dazzling and suit was neatly laid on his body.

"Yeah. Yeah. Okay, Jacobs. Get it done. Bye!" Hunter snapped and angrily ended the call. He had sat his phone on the arm of the leather couch.

"Hey, everything okay?" Emerson asked quietly.

Hunter sighed, "Yeah, now that you're here."

He stepped forward, laying his hands on the girl's waist and pressing a light kiss to her lips. Hunter pulled back, then leaned forward again, kissing her neck.

Emerson groaned, and gently pushed on Hunter's chest.

"Babe, please not now. My dad would kill me, you know that." Emerson whispered.

Hunter pulled back abruptly. His smile was replaced with a neutral look.

"Why don't you just move in here?" Hunter asked, his eyes trailing Emerson's body.

"He needs my help, baby. He needs help with the rent and bills." Emerson stated.

Hunter scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Not like you make much anyway. You can't even sing. You're just better off moving in with me. Make your life a whole lot easier."

Emerson's lip quivered, as she nodded.

"Hunter, please." She begged, "This is my father, he's been raising me on his own since I was seven."

Hunter groaned, hearing that same phrase once again. He sighed, pushing himself off the wall and turning around.

"Whatever. Just leave then." He muttered.