A Sleepover: John Lennon (Beatles)

"So you just stretch this finger over to this string," John instructed as he placed your finger on the lowest string from behind you. "And put this finger right here."

You nodded and bit your lip to hold back the frustration.The two of you were at John's house for the evening because his Aunt Mimi was out of town for a day or two and he was bored. It wasn't until you got to his place that you realized this, and that he also really didn't have anything planned, but once he saw you eyeing his instrument in the corner of his room he offered to teach you how to play.

You couldn't tell, but John knew that you didn't like it one bit. Your fingers were much too short to reach from the highest string to the lowest one, and patience just wasn't your virtue when it came to learning new things. However you weren't going to tell him you loathed playing the wretched instrument because you didn't want to be rude.

John smiled widely at you and nodded. "Good, good, you're doing lovely! Okay, now the third time you strum you need to move this finger to the top string." He said. You nodded and John gestured for you to play. With an inward sigh you began. The first few strums of the guitar were decent, but when it came time to move your finger your stubby pinky couldn't reach the string it needed to transition to and played the wrong chord. You groaned softly and stood up to place the instrument back properly on its stand.

"Maybe we should take a break for a little bit." You suggested, returning to your spot on the bed beside John. He nodded and slung a lazy arm around your shoulder.

"Of course. We could always continue with practices on other days too, if that strikes your fancy?" John said with a smirk. You immediately shook your head.

"No no, I think one day's good enough." You said hastily. He chuckled and squeezed you against his side softly. It was something John normally did when he knew he bothered or annoyed you in some way, so you weren't surprised when he did it to you at the moment.

"If you didn't like the guitar you shoulda told me a long time ago, love." He said, his fingers lightly grazing up and down your arm. You sighed and rested your head on his shoulder, closing your eyes.

"I know, I just didn't want to hurt your feelings or anything. Besides, you looked like you were having fun teaching me." You explained. He grunted in reply, the deep vibrations of his vocal cords humming in your ear. You smiled to yourself and quietly took in the scent of your friend; cigarettes, cologne, and mint. A weird combination in your opinion, but it suited him.

"It's a bit late for you to be walking home by yourself. You're more than welcome to stay the night if you'd like." John murmured, breaking the comfortable silence. You sat up straight to look him in the eye. His hazel, almond-shaped eyes sparkled when they gazed into yours, and they were slightly hopeful. He wanted you to stay; he didn't want to be home alone all night and you knew it. A frown played on your face at his idea. Not that you didn't want to have a little sleepover with him (you were close pals after all), but it seemed like there would be a lot of trouble involved.

"What about Mimi?" You asked.

He grinned his classic mischievous grin. "She's not here to say no, is she? The old gal won't be home til tomorrow evening anyways." He replied nonchalantly.

"And my parents?"

"Ring 'em up and tell them you're staying the night at a friend's house closeby. They'll never know."

You gave him a look, which he countered with pleading puppy dog eyes that he knew you fell for every time, no matter what it was.

"Please?" He said, jutting out his bottom lip.

You held your look, but his face was too cute to say no to.

"Fine." You said in defeat, and he cheered happily. After calling your parents and getting the 'OK' from them, you returned to John's bedroom. He had managed to get ready for bed in the few minutes it took you to run down to the kitchen for the phone call. He was in a white t-shirt and briefs, and it made you remember that you had absolutely no overnight clothes or essentials. When John noticed you in the doorway he came to the same realization. He smiled at you like he always did and sifted through one of the drawers on his wardrobe as he spoke.

"You can sleep in one of my shirts." John said, tossing you a black one.

"Where's your washroom?" You asked, playing with the shirt in your possession.

John covered his eyes with his hands and faced the other direction away from you.

"I won't look, I promise!" He replied.

You chuckled and hesitantly you removed your shirt to put on his, and took off your pants. The shirt wasn't very modest, but it covered what it needed to. You walked over to the corner where John was hiding and tapped his shoulder to tell him you were done and then took a seat on his bed. John removed his hands and glanced over at you. A rosy glow was spreading through his face, although you didn't know why. You shifted uncomfortably.

"So um...where do I sleep?" You asked.

He smiled sheepishly and rubbed his neck.

"I suppose you could sleep on me couch, or we could...share the bed? Only if you want to, though. I wasn't going to force you or anything, that'd be strange. It's up to you."

John Lennon, resident bad boy, was acting like a flustered school girl which you found to be quite amusing. With a chuckle you scrambled over to the other end of the bed to get under the covers. You patted the spot beside you and John hesitantly crawled in. He reached over to the night stand and turned off the lamp that illuminated the room. In the darkness the two of you were laying on your sides facing each other. You found yourself shivering a bit, seeing as though there was only one blanket on his bed.

"Cold, love?" John's voice whispered.

Without waiting for your answer, his warm arms pulled you into his chest and immediately you pushed your face into the crook of his neck to warm your nose. Your legs had tangled into his as well, and you hummed contently. There was not only warmth but a weird spark when he held you; the kind of spark that gave you a fuzzy feeling throughout your entire body. You didn't really know what it meant, but it felt amazing.

"How are you so warm?" You asked, trying to ignore the sensation in your chest.

He laughed softly and his hand played with a lock of hair on the back of your head.

"I dunno." John replied.

You smiled and moved your head in front of his so that you were able to look him in the eye. The moonlight shining through the blinds accentuated his facial features beautifully. It was weird to you that you thought of him as beautiful, but it was true. John's hand was still in your hair, and your arms were wrapped snugly around his waist. You glanced at his lips, and then back up at his hazel eyes. Without thinking you moved your head closer until your lips met his. It was very brief because you had realized what you were doing, and you automatically assumed John was going to freak out. You guys were just friends and not much more, but when you pulled away his eyes were sparkling more than ever and he smiled the widest you had ever seen. "You have no idea how long I've wanted just a kiss on the cheek from you." John said with a dreamy sigh. A wave of relief washed over you and suddenly he rolled on top of you, his face hanging just inches away from your own. His mouth was soft and velvety when it pressed against yours. He was kissing you passionately and you kissed back with more force. John's hands ran up under your shirt, grazing under your bra. You smiled against his lips and snuck a hand on his bum and squeezed it, making him groan.

"Keep-your hands-to yourself." He said breathlessly in between kisses.

"You first." You replied.

He laughed mischievously and licked the inside of your mouth. Your tongues danced together in harmony, and let's just say in the end it was a very sleepless night.