Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"It's nice to meet you." he said as I shook his hand. There was something in his voice that I couldn't detect, all I knew was that it was hostile in some sort of way. He let go of my hand, then turned around and got back on his knees beside Denali as if Master Jinn, Shmi, and I hadn't even entered the room.

"Ani, you don't have to watch her anymore. Obi-Wan is here, he'll watch her from now on." Shmi said as she walked over to him, placing her hand on his shoulder. He didn't look up at her.

"Can I watch her, too?" he asked in a silent voice. Shmi and Master Jinn looked at me, searching for my approval. "Please, she's....she's the greatest friend I've ever had. She trusts me, she told me herself in Watto's shop. I want to be here for her. She would be here for me if I was in her place."

"You should get some rest, Ani. It's getting late."

"I'll sleep on the floor in here."

"Ani, Master Jinn said that she won't wake up for a few days. You're not going to miss-"

"It's alright, he can stay if he wants to." I chimed in. Anakin quickly looked up at me, a thankful smile appearing on his face.

"Are you sure, Obi-Wan?" Qui-Gon asked. I nodded.

"It's getting late, I'll get you two some pillows and blankets." Shmi said and left the room. I sat down in a chair beside Denali's bed, Anakin on his knees a few feet from me.

"Well, I think I should be getting some rest as well. Good night, Anakin. Good night, Obi-Wan." Master Jinn said to us. We said 'Good night' back, then we were the only ones in the room with Denali. Anakin didn't move his eyes from her closed ones.

"How long have you known Denali?" I asked him. He was silent for a second.

"I met her earlier today. But she was so kind to me, she treated me like a person. Not a slave. She had asked me questions about myself, she was actually interested in my past and my thoughts. No one I have ever met has ever cared about my opinion, besides my mother, of course." he told me. Then he looked at me.

"She told me alot about you."

I could feel myself stiffen.

"What exactly did she say?" I asked him.

"She told me how you rescued her when she was little. She said that you had saved her from her older brother. She kept saying what a hero you were to her." Anakin said. I could feel my cheeks turning red as I tried to hide my blushing.

"I just did what any other good Jedi would've done." I stated modestly.

"Here are some blankets and pillows, do you need anything else?" Shmi asked as she came in, her hands carrying two pillows and two blankets. She handed me one of each, and handed Anakin the other two.

"I'm fine, thank you." I said to her.

"I'm alright, too, Mom." Anakin said as he set his pillow down on the floor, right next to Denali's bed. Shmi smiled at her son.

"Alright. Good night, boys." she said as she walked out. We replied, 'Good night'. I set my pillow down a few feet away from Anakin's and laid my blanket down as well, using it kind of like a mattress. Anakin did that as well. I lay down, my head on my pillow as I stared up at the ceiling.

"Obi-Wan." I heard Anakin say. I turned my head to look at him. He was looking over at Denali as she slept, the sound of her steady breathing filling the quiet room.

"You love her, don't you?" Anakin asked.

I immediately denied it.

"I don't love her. Jedi aren't allowed to form attachments. She's a great friend, but even having friends is pushing it a little too far. Friends are attachments, too." I said quickly, staring up at the ceiling. I didn't want him to know how I truly felt about her. My emotions were my property, I don't need to share them if I don't want to.

"I know you do." Anakin said with a tired yawn.

"And what makes you think that?" I asked him. But by now he was halfway asleep. He rolled over on his side, facing me. His eyes were closed, but he was still barely awake. He yawned again.

"Because you're hiding your emotions."

"Jedi aren't suppose to share their emotions."

"Denali shared hers with me. Let me ask you something, has she ever told you about the visions she's been having about one of the members from her old bounty hunter gang?" he asked me, his eyes open now. I was silent, continuing to look up at the ceiling. It was true, I hadn't heard about the visions she was having. I knew that she was having them, I just never knew what they were about.

"Watch yourself, Padawan. Because it looks like I just might steal your spot as her best friend."