Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I yawned, my eyes blinking open. I looked around, and realized I wasn't home at the base anymore. Then the previous moments that had occurred filled my mind. I remembered Gerg carrying me through the Rancor Slayers base, hurling in the back seat of the speeder, people lifting me onto a gurney, doctors rolling me into a strange room, then a mask was put over my mouth and knocked me out. That was all I could remember.

I knew that I was in a medical center because of the strange clothes I was wearing and the bed with white sheets I had been sleeping in. I was totally calm, the only thing that was really freaking me out were the floating objects in the air. I seriously had to duck twice to avoid being sliced open by a deadly-looking pair of scissors and a huge metal container of cotton balls hit me in the head.

But other than that, it was pretty cool. Watching the weird devices fly around lazily was kind of fun. Sometimes I would reach up and touch them, they would spin around in a circle, then return on their original path around the room. It had been a few minutes before I finally realize that I was being watched. I looked over to my right and saw that there was a boy sitting in a chair. I jumped in shock and all the objects in the air fell to the ground. I flinched, but Gerg seemed as if he wasn't surprised.

"It's nice to see that you're awake." Gerg said to me with a sad smirk on his face. I gave him a confused look.

"Gerg, why am I here? I mean, I know I'm ill, but why is my sickness such a bad thing? Don't I just have the stomach-flu?" I asked him. But I knew right after the words came out of my mouth that my illness was severe. Gerg sighed and closed his eyes. He held his head in his hands for a second, then looked up at me. Tears were falling down his cheeks.

"The Jedi are here." my jaw dropped. My hands began to shake in fear and I had to grab the arm rests to steady myself. Zendy and the other Rancor Slayers had told me awful stories about the Jedi and their light-swords, the harm they had caused around the galaxy and how mutantous they were to the innocent.

"Why have they come?" I choked out.

"They've come to take you away from us. They think you're Force-Sensitive. They're going to take you to Corosaunt and train you in the ways of a Jedi. You're never going to see us again." Gerg said inbetween deep sobs. Zendy had obviously told him the stories she had told me as well. I felt like I was about to pass out, throw up, or die. I figured that maybe I would do them all at once.

I tried to stand up, but couldn't find the strength. I reached my shaking hands toward Gerg, my fingertips barely able to brush his green-skinned arm as he sobbed.

"Zendy isn't going to let this happen.....sh-she'll know what to do." I tried to assure him, even though I was just as scared as he was. He looked up and took my out-stretched hands in his. His eyes were filled with pain and sorrow, as if he thought all of this was his own fault.

"I'm sorry, Denali. But she has spoken with the Jedi. She has agreed to let them take you for a week if you get better. Then when the week is up, you will decide if you want to stay on Corosaunt or come back home." Gerg told me. I asked the question that kept nagging at the back of my mind.

"What if I don't get better?" I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders.

"I have a feeling I wouldn't do a very good job of explaining your illness to you-"

"Allow me." a voice said from the doorway. Both our heads turned and saw a young boy who looked around my age. He had short auburn hair, a single long braid that hung over his left shoulder, blue eyes, wore white Jedi robes, and a light-sword hung from his belt, but the light had been extinguished somehow. Gerg stood up, letting go of me in the process. I could tell that he was going to leave. I didn't want him to leave me with this Jedi-stranger.