Chapter Thirty-Seven

Denali paced back and forth in her room that she would be sleeping in on the ship. She wanted to talk to Anakin, but he was on the bridge, learning stuff from the pilot. She would've spoken with her Master, but he was busy with Master Jinn, discussing the latest Council meetings. Thankfully, they hadn't found out about the whole punching-bag incedent. The only person she had left to talk to was....

"Obi." Denali said, a smile on her face as the doors to her bedroom opened. Obi-Wan smiled back at her as he closed the door behind him. He wrapped her in a big hug, which she happily returned. She was so happy to be with him again.

"Are you alright? I mean, after everything that happened with the Council?" Obi-Wan asked her as he held her at arm-length. The smile was erased from her lips as she shrugged. She walked over to the edge of her bed, sitting down. Obi-Wan quickly sat down beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"At first I was fine. I knew that Master Windu can be a jerk sometimes. But then he brought up the whole 'since you didn't kill him, countless others are going to die' subject. I just kind of lost my cool right there. But whatever, I'm alright now." she said simply as she looked at the floor. But Obi-Wan could tell she wasn't.

"Hey," Obi-Wan said with a smile on his face as he lifted her chin up. "It's alright if you feel upset about this. You don't have to keep up the whole 'I'm alright' act." Obi-Wan said to her as he stared into her eyes, nearly getting lost in those blue orbs.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble we'd be in if our Masters found out about this?" Denali asked him dreamily.

"Good thing they won't." he said with a smirk as he leaned in, gently kissing her lips. She kissed him back, feeling the happiest she had ever felt in her entire life. But then she pulled away.

"What happens after this? When the mission's over? We're both on our way to being knighted, when will we ever see eachother?" she asked him. He held her close, her head resting in the crook of his neck.

"We can always think to eachother." Obi-Wan said.

"But what if thoughts aren't enough? I'd miss you too much." Denali said.

"Then we need to make the most of the time we spend together." Obi-Wan told her.

"But what if you forget about me, what if you forget about us?" Denali asked quietly, looking at her hands in. She didn't even want to think about Obi-Wan forgetting her. "I've been left by so many loved ones.... I don't want you leaving me, too."

"I'm not going to leave you. I swear." Obi-Wan said to her. She didn't look at him. She couldn't.

"That's exactly what Danik said-"

"I'm not like Danik, Denali. You must understand this." Obi-Wan held her tighter. She didn't want him to let go.

"I know you aren't, Obi. I just can't help but feel this way. My entire life, every single one of the people I thought I could count on let me down. I guess I'm just...."

"Afraid." Obi-Wan finished her sentence. "You think I'm not afraid, either? Everywhere I go, guys are always flirting with you."

"They are not." Denali said as she rolled her eyes, a smile on her face.

"Really? Because someone asking you, 'Are you an angel?' isn't flirting?" He asked her.

"First of all, Anakin is four years younger than me. So it's never going to work. Second of all, he wasn't flirting with me. It was an honest question. And third of all..." Denali said as she kissed his cheek. He could feel his face beginning to turn red. "You're the only guy I've ever truly loved. And it's going to stay that way." They were silent after that , just enjoying each others company for the next few hours.

"At least we learned something good from that vision we shared." Denali said, breaking the silence. Obi-Wan smiled.

"And what exactly was that?" Obi-Wan asked with a smirk.

"Sometime in the future, you'll finally be able to grow the facial hair you've always wanted." Denali said, immediately laughing after she had spoken those words. Obi-Wan couldn't help but laugh as well, happy that she had decided to lighten the mood after all the sad things they had thought about.